Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Best buy has a sale 900$ for a MacBook Air Base 13" 4GB/128GB/i5 for student discount.

Apple's is 1200$ for 8GB/128GB/i5 base MacBook Air 13"

My question is,

Should I spend an extra 300 for the ram? I'll want to have the computer for about 3-5 years.

I do light editing in Lightroom, email, Facebook, twitter, Internet probably all at once.

Will 8GB be the better buy?

Also, has anyone had the situation where they had bestbuy match a 4GB ram air to a 8GB ram for 90$ more?

Thanks

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Best buy has a sale 900$ for a MacBook Air Base 13" 4GB/128GB/i5 for student discount.

My question is,

Should I spend an extra 300 for the ram? I'll want to have the computer for about 3-5 years.

I do light editing in Lightroom, email, Facebook, twitter, Internet probably all at once.

Also, has anyone had the situation where they had bestbuy match a 4GB ram air to a 8GB ram for 90$ more?

Thanks

Yes, get the 8GB RAM now.

It's not so much that you may need it now, but since you keep, or intend to keep, your computer for 3-5 years and the RAM in the MBA is not user upgradable.

As far as Apple vs Best Buy, I went with apple as I wanted to take advantage of their financing offers. No experience with best regards.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
I went with the 4gb to save the $300 and will just sell my air in like 2-3 years and upgrade then. Didn't. Feel the need for the extra ram especially for that price point.

PDXPean

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012
I think you'll be fine with 4 gigs. I originally wanted 8 gigs too but the BB deal was too good to pass up.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
I went with the 4gb to save the $300 and will just sell my air in like 2-3 years and upgrade then. Didn't. Feel the need for the extra ram especially for that price point.

I agree. Spending $300 more for 4gb ram is a far stretch.
That's a 30% price jump!
Better use the $300 down the road on a new Air.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
If you have a personal .edu email address you should be able to get it.

Awesome, thanks

----------

Yes, get the 8GB RAM now.

It's not so much that you may need it now, but since you keep, or intend to keep, your computer for 3-5 years and the RAM in the MBA is not user upgradable.

As far as Apple vs Best Buy, I went with apple as I wanted to take advantage of their financing offers. No experience with best regards.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I decided to go with the bestbuy deal, I'll sell the laptop in a year or 2 before I go to college so I can upgrade. Thanks!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I had a 4gb/256gb i5 MBA for two years and loved it. No problem running Final Cut Pro 6 and Logic 9 in 4gb - even both at the same time.

But I think a 128GB SSD just isn't enough. I suppose it depends on how you use the machine though. Just upgraded to an 8gb/512gb i7 2013 model and am really happy. I feel like I have some room to grow now with the SSD. But side by side with the 2011 machine, the performance differences are nothing very earth-shaking.

Now this is all based only a little less than a week's light use while staying with a friend in NYC. Now that I'm back home, I will start pounding on the new machine a little harder.

But the bottom line is that I don't think i5 vs i7 matters a lot, and 4gb RAM is probably enough for most people. But a 128gb SSD is going to be very limiting.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc

My question is,

Thanks

if you're a student.. why not get it from the apple education store? you can snag the 8GB version for $1140 and you also get the $100 gift card, which makes it a better deal imo.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I had a 4gb/256gb i5 MBA for two years and loved it. No problem running Final Cut Pro 6 and Logic 9 in 4gb - even both at the same time.

But I think a 128GB SSD just isn't enough. I suppose it depends on how you use the machine though. Just upgraded to an 8gb/512gb i7 2013 model and am really happy. I feel like I have some room to grow now with the SSD. But side by side with the 2011 machine, the performance differences are nothing very earth-shaking.

Now this is all based only a little less than a week's light use while staying with a friend in NYC. Now that I'm back home, I will start pounding on the new machine a little harder.

But the bottom line is that I don't think i5 vs i7 matters a lot, and 4gb RAM is probably enough for most people. But a 128gb SSD is going to be very limiting.
Hey thanks! I chose to go with a 128SSD and a 500GB external for extra storage

----------

if you're a student.. why not get it from the apple education store? you can snag the 8GB version for $1140 and you also get the $100 gift card, which makes it a better deal imo.
With tax the 4GB is 950$
With tax the 8GB is 1,210

I hope the 4GB ram will hold up for 2 years as I sell it before I go to college

----------

Have you heard of anyone going to apple and price matching a MacBook Air for 900$? And a apple iTunes card?

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
It's a $90 upgrade for RAM for the MacBook Air. I mean that is the student discount. Then it's $100 for the.

It might be a different story for the rMBP but I don't know. I'm not really into that model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.