BestBuy selling White iPhone 4 without a contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by italeki, Apr 27, 2011.

1. italeki macrumors regular

I'm getting different information from people. I went to BestBuy today and was told that I can buy an iPhone 4 but ONLY WITH A CONTRACT! That I "could not" purchase the phone at retail price. Now I hear from people and over the internet that BestBuy does sell their iPhone 4 "without" a contract as well. What is the correct information? I appreciate your responses.

2. italeki thread starter macrumors regular

I will personally go again to BestBuy tomorrow, for no one picks up calls, and ask if I could purchase a iPhone 4 without a contract.

3. nowstime macrumors regular

Yes...they will sell a white one without contract. I called several locations and they told me YES. If AT&T and Apple is doing it so will Best Buy...that's what the mobile rep told me.

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Yes, but they will be locked to current providers. So you might as well buy directly from Apple.

5. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

6. California King macrumors 65816

Can you buy without a contract online either at Apple.com or Bestbuy.com?

7. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Yes and no. You need to haver service (in the U.S.) with either Verizon or AT&T. They will check your eligibility and if you are not upgrade eligible, you can buy at full price. While some people can buy at full price without service from these two providers, most Apple stores will not just sell it to anyone full price no questions asked.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If you're going to pay full retail, you're probably better off buying from a country where you can get a factory unlocked phone. Even if you don't need the unlock, the resale would hold much better.

9. California King macrumors 65816

Does Best Buy care if you're on a prepaid plan? Meaning, will they still sell you the phone without a contract if you tell them you're on a prepaid plan on AT&T?

I just checked online at Bestbuy.com and it seems like you can buy an iPhone off contract if you select that you're a "current customer" and that you want to "replace your current phone," but since you have to select the pickup option, I'm wondering if they have to check your account and make sure you're on a contract and all that? Or will they just hand you the phone, unopened when you arrive at the store?

10. dave420 macrumors 65816

Best Buy will certainly give your phone unopened if you ask them to. The old sim card for the line will be automatically disconnected when they make the sale, so you will need to activate the phone on a computer. It will be locked to AT&T. I don't know how they would handle a prepaid purchase.

11. italeki thread starter macrumors regular

So you mean that BestBuy will only sell iPhones that "cannot" be jailbroken and unlocked, even with the GSM ATT iphones? My intentions are to purchase one without contract and jailbreak/unlock so I can use a least expensive cell service.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You'll be able to jailbreak your ATT iPhone. Unlock is another story.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You could jb but won't be able to unlock it.
    Unless you to with a gevey turbosim.

14. italeki thread starter macrumors regular

So you cannot unlock the iPhone 4 with Ultrasn0w???

15. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You can only unlock if the iPhone 4's baseband is on 1.59.00

Otherwise any other baseband; 2.10, 3.10, and 4.10 you have to unlock with either a Gevey Turbo Sim or Rebel Micro Sim

16. italeki thread starter macrumors regular

17. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

That is not true! I purchased my iPhone 4 from an Apple store no contract. I walked in, told the sales person I want a no contract iPhone 4, he told me the price, I swiped my credit card and was out the door.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like my Greek friend said all new purchased iPhones will have late firmware and baseband versions updated so ultrasnow won't be able to unlock any i4 that comes with any firmware higher than 4.0.2

19. italeki thread starter macrumors regular

Which is a better sim Gevey Turbo Sim or Rebel Micro Sim? I will definitely need to purchase one, for my new iPhone 4 has the 04.10.01 baseband and no where on the internet is showing how to unlock with a current update of Ultrasn0w.

I finally got my WHITE iPhone 4 at BestBuy without a contract! I went to another location and was not given any problems. I guess they are not all on the same page.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not showing how to unlock 04.10.01 cause ultrasnow cannot unlock it at the moment. Its not compatible with every baseband version.
    I'd go with Gevey, many members use them with no probs.

21. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Ok, I get that they'll sell you one without contract BUT the catch is you have to be an AT&T customer right? I was always uncertain about that. :confused:

22. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Exactly as I said, "most Apple stores". The rule is supposed to be only sell an iPhone to someone who has service or who is signing up for service. I guess if you say you're purchasing as a gift it could be a different story. I'm not saying all Apple stores follow this company wide (within the U.S.) rule, and I am sure they won't be discovered for doing so. But, they aren't supposed to cell to someone without service.

23. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

You said most apple stores will not sell you a no contract iPhone. Still not true. Call any Apple store and ask them the no contract price and they will tell you the price. Go in store and they will sell you one. Period.