BestBuy vs. Apple website

mt8888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
Hi everyone.

I am a college student interested in purchasing a new Air. I've noticed that BestBuy has a better student discount right now ($100 off vs. $50). Are there any cons to buying at Bestbuy vs the Apple website? I'm thinking of buying the 13 inch, 4gb. Thanks.

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
I'm buying my next iMac there. They could be discounted up to $150.00 I see no difference buying it from Bestbuy. Better a shekel in your pocket than somebody else's:D

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I don't think there is any advantage with going with the Apple store vs Best Buy. You can get Applecare at both places and if you need it services, you have to go to Apple anyway. So if you can find it cheaper, I say go for it.

Irishman

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2006
I don't think there is any advantage with going with the Apple store vs Best Buy. You can get Applecare at both places and if you need it services, you have to go to Apple anyway. So if you can find it cheaper, I say go for it.
Actually, no. Best Buy offers their own Geek Squad Protection plans, but they are not allowed to sell Applecare.

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
You'll miss the Apple Store experience. It's a bit exciting to buy there but if it's going to cost more it's not worth it.

mmberry1

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2012
Actually, no. Best Buy offers their own Geek Squad Protection plans, but they are not allowed to sell Applecare.
Your wrong you can still buy apple care from an apple store if you purchase from best buy. I've done it.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Hi everyone.

I am a college student interested in purchasing a new Air. I've noticed that BestBuy has a better student discount right now ($100 off vs. $50). Are there any cons to buying at Bestbuy vs the Apple website? I'm thinking of buying the 13 inch, 4gb. Thanks.

I guess the only downside to confining your purchase to those two vendors is that you don't appear to have considered the tax free savings at B&H, Amazon and other sites.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I guess the only downside to confining your purchase to those two vendors is that you don't appear to have considered the tax free savings at B&H, Amazon and other sites.
unless s/he already lives in a tax free state..
but I do agree, you can usually get a cheaper price online since tax will for the most part kill the deal.