Bestbuy...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ErikCLDR, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I have decided to boycott shopping at Bestbuy.

Every time I go there, their in store price is at least $5 more than there online price. I have learned to go online, print out the web page, and then go to the store. Every time I have to get in a fight with an employee that their instore and online prices do not match. One time when buying apple headphones at BestBuy (i had a gift certificate) they refused to match apple's price claiming that the Apple Store (across the street) was to far away to be price matched with.

Another time my mom was buying rechargeable batteries and they charged her $10 more than what the price tag said.

When we bought a TV from them it look them months to get us the stand for the TV that they claimed to have in stock in a nearby warehouse.

I went there two days ago to buy an iPod Dock and of course they wanted $5 more than apple sells it for and $5 more then they have it online for. I know, it's only $5 but its such an unethical way of doing business.

In the news I heard about how they had an intranet BestBuy site in stores so that people couldn't get to the real bestbuy website to price match.

Anyone else have any good BestBuy Stories.

2. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

with all the bad experience, what makes you keep going back. i hate that place. i do most of my shopping online these days. the prices seem to be better. sure i have to wait, but it's not that big of a deal.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I may have changed the way devices work, and then accidently broken them, and them might have returned them claiming they were defective. Only at best buy though, theoretically... not possible at the small local computer shop. (besides I'm about to get a job there and that would probably create problems, maybe.)

They (bestbuy) tried to cheat us (family) into paying about 500 more for a tv, than they said they would sell it to us, because the price they gave us with a warranty for umpteen million years and did basically nothing.

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes, their internal internet (like on their demo units) use a different site so that you don't get the true BB online prices. What some people have done to get around that? Use their iPhones w/ wifi off-- using EDGE, and then pulling up the actual BB web prices.

Hm... I hardly shop there. But once, I wanted in on a video game deal and the associate and manager wouldn't honor the promo that I knew corporate had okayed and had an SKU for. :rolleyes: I told them I'd wait while they phoned and verified w/ corporate. I got the deal. :)

6. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I am curious as to why you went back to Best Buy after you knew they had higher prices than Apple. Just go to Apple.

I hate Best Buy. I will pay the extra money not to shop their.

7. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

I work for best buy...well i mostly sell apple stuff

the reason why things are over other places

is

1) we buy stuff off companies for a price
    2) example->ipod dock it costs us say 57.88
    3) most places sell it for 59.99 (apple)
    4) but we need to make more then the 2 dollars
    5) so we set it at 64.99 that way we make 7 dollars
    6) if apple makes the dock and sells it in there store..they make tons...
    7) best buy makes loads off there extended warrenties...trust me..i sell them

have any more questions? ask

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i only go to best buy for certain things.
    i've had few problems with them though. and i stay away from things that i know are readily available elsewhere for cheaper.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And if your customers were smart they would not let you sell it to them.;)

I thought the states went after BB and forced the web sites to match up.

When I worked at Sears years ago, before it turned to suckage. I would fight management about selling those stupid warranties because I always said that customers were smarter then to agree to them. Of course the company would get pissed if you didn't cram it down their throats.

10. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I too have recently decided to never shop at best buy, they have the worst customer service of any retailer I have ever been to.

11. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I have heard horror stories at other Best Buys, but I've actually been really lucky and had good experiences there. One time, I was shopping for new headphones and was looking through them and asking a salesperson (who turned out to be the manager) his opinion. He said I could buy whatever ones I wanted, go home and try them out, and return the ones I didn't like. I know you could do this at any place under their return policies, but I did just that and they made it really easy to return the ones I didn't want to keep after I tried them out. No problem.

Another time, my friend was having a LAN party this past Christmas and was at Best Buy buying some supplies. He saw their holiday gift cards that had a little programmable LED display, and thought they were cool. He bought 30 of them and put a penny on each (the gift cards didn't actually cost anything) and then programmed them for his party and gave them to all of us. Best Buy didn't give him a problem! ;)

Though whole in-store web site, though, I think is vile. :mad:

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Wouldn't you have to pay the five dollars anyway for shipping? That could be their business model.

Otherwise, I don't buy anything at bestbuy anymore ever since i found out about the EXTREME disconnect in cable prices. The same cable at best buy for $200 is readily found on ebay and other places online for about $15. I just feel bad for those people who go ahead a buy that stuff and aren't privy to what else is out there.

13. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

a 70dollar HDMI cable

cost me 7bucks under staff

14. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

best buy is ok...if i have a choice though i will not shop there.

15. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I only go to BB to look - I always buy online because where I am everything is more expensive in a storefront store. Amazon, New Egg, and Buy.com for me thanks. I don't even buy batteries in a store!

16. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I have had relatively good experiences with Best Buy. One time, however, i was buying my brother the new Foo Fighters CD for his birthday. They had a display of the CD out with the new releases/top sellers and a price of $9.99 so i went to buy it. Apparently the listing was for an older CD by them that wasn't even around the display. The lard-ass schmuck ringing me up MAKES ME get the sign, then says "oh this is the wrong CD," no sorry, then TELLS ME TO PUT IT BACK FOR HIM! First of all that's horrible service to tell the customer to put back a sign, but furthermore if he had listened to what i said, that CD that was supposedly $9.99 wasn't even out where the sign was so putting it back absolutely made no sense!

I instinctually went to put it back before i realized what he had said, turned around, then simply told him it didn't sense to put it back... I regret not criticizing his service and calling him lazy, he was a jerk on top of all of it.

Other than that i've had good experiences :)

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yea, they are kinda evil...the fake online store when you're in there bugs me a lot!

But I have some gift cards there, so.......I'll be going soon! :D

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I love BestBuy. Yes, their prices are outragous at times, but they have the largest selection music, games and electronics in general of any store that is even relatively close to me. (And their 22 miles away.)

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I've only had one problem there.

I had checked out digital cameras online, figured out what I wanted, and went in to purchase it. Well when I went in the camera was about $30 more than I had seen online, so I asked the salesman why it was cheaper online. He rather smuggly pulled up the "online store" and showed me that the prices were the same. Thinking I must of mixed things up, I went home and checked again, low and behold I was right. So I just ordered online with instore pick-up option. The same salesman brought the camera up to the desk when I was picking it up, it felt so good to say "I told ya so." Then two weeks later the whole "2-prices" lawsuit came about.

20. nfocus design macrumors regular

nfocus design

Sometimes Best Buy has good deals, so I go if it will save me money. I always print out the online price and take it with me because I know there is a good chance it won't be that price in the store and they will show me the special site that matches their in store price. Even with a print out, one store told me Best Buy and BestBuy.com were two different stores and they wouldn't price match the item I wanted. I went to a different Best Buy store and they matched it.

21. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Best Buy is more for the "have it now" than the "a good deal" store. In reality anything you get there you can get online cheaper. Some of their old DVDs are a nice deal but that's about it. The only time I go there is when I don't feel like waiting four or five days for a shipment, or if I want to see a product in person.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I hate Best Buy. They're always more expensive and their employees are worthless. At least at Circuit City their worthless employees are offset by their cheaper prices. ;)

23. nfocus design macrumors regular

nfocus design

Any other place ever put iTunes gift cards on sale for buy 3 get one free? From time to time they do have better deals than you can get online.

24. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I wanted to purchase an Xbox 360 at Best Buy since their warranty is great there.. but unfortunately they have been out of stock for the past 4 weeks.. so now I don't even want it anymore. I decided to go for an iPod Touch 16GB instead else where. I know it's not BB fault because maybe Microsoft isn't shipping or something but why do I always hear stories of other BB's having them in stock? Can't they just order one from there? Oh well.

25. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

Where I am the Best Buy is pretty good and the Circuit City is worthless.

Granted, I almost exclusively shop online and use in store pickup so I haven't noticed any price disparities as mentioned in the original post.