Bestbuy's black tie MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gama472, Dec 4, 2011.

1. gama472 macrumors newbie

I am planning to change my MBP because since I bought it for college I've been having lock ups and wi-fi troubles (even with lion). Do you think that they would change my MBP with the AMD 6490M for the new one? ( I hope they do because the black tie thing says that they would give me something with the same value)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're better of asking them?

I don't know the details of this black tie coverage, but my guess is that if deem necessary they'll replace the laptop with a similar one, whether that is the ame model or a newer one is dependent on their inventory of refurbs (if they keep an inventory of refurbs).

Getting them to replace it may be the big question, I don't know the details but I suspect if you report to them that you're getting intermittent lockups they'll be less inclined to give you a new laptop.

Those extended warranties are a great money maker for retailers and they work hard at not giving away new computers if they can help it

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

they will fix it

4. gama472 thread starter macrumors newbie

I also had a little accident in which I dropped my mac from my desk. It was inside its bag so it absorbed a little of the impact, but still one of the corners bent and I can't plug ethernet cables. The insurance covers accidents, and since i am leaving the US for christmas maybe I could convince them to give another one.

5. jnash macrumors regular

The extended protection plans are not great ways for us to make money, if his laptop is having a problem the company (Best Buy or Apple) will run test to see whats going on, if its a problem we will fix it. Most consumers do not know how to run diagnostic programs, and or even how to open up there laptop to add ram. I agree most people do not need extended protection plans from apple or laptop but I did have a protection plan on my last apple and my 2 year old spilled juice all over it, I took it into the store they said they will need to send it out to see if anything is repairable, the laptop was deemed as not repairable and I was able to upgrade to a brand new laptop. I can tell you that because your having intermitting issues or lock ups, they will not just give you a brand new laptop, however they should check it in and see whats causing those issues, and will repair them.

6. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

As per the warranty, your computer has to have at least four problems in order to be eligible for replacement. I had my 2009 white MB replaced in june this year this because I had liquid spilled on it, and all of the internal components fried.

Based on what you're looking at, you only have two issues: A bent case and possibly a logic board issue. The best option you have at this point is to take it into best buy, and send it in. They will test it for all kinds of things at the shop. If four or more things are wrong with it, they'll replace it. If not, they'll fix whatever is wrong. Hope that helps.

7. nicfargo macrumors member

The Warranty is actually not just 4 things wrong with it, it is 4 times sending it in for service. So if you have 8 things wrong and they fix it on 1 trip, you don't get a new laptop. They do also figure in cost of repair though, so sometimes it just depends. If you want a new machine, spill the liquid or drop it from a tall building...your choice.

8. gama472 thread starter macrumors newbie

A friend of my brother did that with a windows computer he had and he indeed got a new computer. Spilling water on it may be the most accidental looking thing, but still I would prefer not to do that.

9. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

What are the specs of your computer? I was given a replacement by best buy before.

10. gama472 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an early 2011 15-inch MacBook Pro (i7 @2.0Ghz AMD6490M)

11. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Just a note: don't they actually give you up to the purchase price of the old machine - so if you bought it at a discount they may actually on;y credit your original price? That's how most extended warranty plans work - not familiar with BB Black Tie.

12. cgallant725 macrumors newbie

Black tie will send the laptop out for service (plan on a week or two min). the only way it will be replaced is if the cost of the replacement parts is greater than the cost of giving you a new machine, or if the parts are unavailable. Typically the replacement value is the amount including tax to purchase a new machine with comparable specs. You can get a better machine but the difference will have to paid out of pocket, as well as the cost for a new plan (if you choose to get the coverage again)

I had a 2008 MB replaced but only since it took a tumble and cracked the screen, and screwed up all the insides and it wouldn't boot up. It was all covered though since i had the accidental plan

13. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

They'd either give you that same one, but new, that is assuming they still had stock of it. If they don't have that one, and you are in fact entitled to a new machine, they'll give you the 2.2 i7 that was recently released.

14. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I did not read the rest of the posts, however I am a Geek Squad Agent at a store..

First off they most likely will tell you to restore it. These seem like software issues most likely. If you still have issues with it then they will send it out. The only way they will exchange it is if the cost to replace whatever is not working costs more then a new laptop. You will not get a new one.

The only time I have ever seen macs exchanged is liquid damage, and that is only if you have the ADH (Accidental Handling under Normal Use. So if you run it over with your car that is not covered....I have seen that before and I don't want you doing something stupid to get an exchange.

Let me know if you have any more questions about Black Tie Protection on any apple products.

However back to your point. If it where to exchanged, which I don't see happening. You will get the closest comparable Mac, so if they still have the old model in stock you will get that, if not they will give you whatever replaced your model.

15. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Best Buy is notorious for taking forever to get you a replacement/store credit with their Black Tie warranty. I've had some friends that needed to use theirs and it was several weeks. Just FYI.

16. randomrazr macrumors 65816

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Can you mention what you mean by random lockups? Are we talking a complete freeze/kernel panic or just programs turning unresponsive and random spinning wheels. While other thing can cause it, the most common cause of that stupid wheel is waiting on a hard drive. If you're getting them frequently with things like loading applications, disk warrior may help. It cleans up the directories.

If they're kernel panics, the dump logs can be checked. Kernel panics eventually bring up that hold down the power button to reset message. Kernel panics are typically hardware issues, but they can also be related to bad firmware/drivers for whatever item which would not be likely for a macbook pro with nothing plugged in.

Rather than coming on here and asking if you'll get a replacement, you should simply have it checked out or at least include enough details for someone to give a proper response.

Edit: If you look at the terms of that plan, it may not specify a new computer. You may just get a refurbished version of what you have. I haven't read the terms, but they all include various details on this stuff.

18. gama472 thread starter macrumors newbie

It constantly had (and still have) the spinning wheel, programs would stop working and then the only thing working would be the mouse but everything would be unresponsive. No I haven't had a kernel panic nor crash. I re-installed snow leopard and things got a bit better but still had some lock ups. I then upgraded to Lion and the lock ups stopped but I have many more spinning wheels and Wi-Fi works so randomly, even on windows, so i think it may be something on hardware level since the beginning, or both OSs suck.

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That actually helps. You probably have a hardware issue of some kind. I'd like to rule out something really simple even though I don't think this is the issue given the wifi complaint. Whenever you take it into one of these places and complain about slowing they like to give idiotic responses like "add more ram". Just in case, when you have something like this happen next, open activity monitor and look at how much ram is either free or inactive, and what you're getting in terms of pageouts.

Bad ram can cause similar problems. If you upgraded the ram yourself at any point, you can try an application called memtest in single user mode. I don't have a link for it but googling it would work. It really doesn't sound like that is the problem though. I just mentioned activity monitor because it "can" cause that kind of behavior even though I don't think this is the case here. Lion is pretty ram hungry, but Windows 7 and Snow Leopard are about the same (SL seems a bit better if you're low on ram than Windows 7 but it's not a huge difference).

It's quite possible that you have an airport problem, but I'd like you to do the activity monitor check simply because pageouts can produce that kind of behavior, and it's always possible that it's more than one thing. The computer should receive diagnostics regardless. The spinning wheel basically means that the OS is waiting on a piece of physical hardware or there is a bug in the code or firmware of some device (typically an added peripheral device). I'm assuming you get these issues without extra peripheral devices (external hard drives or thumb drives for example) plugged in.

20. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Bring it in. They will run hardware digs in store, then if they find anything more serious then an HD or Memory, they most likely will have to send it out. They always will try to fix it so don't count on a new pc.

Geek Squad Agent.

21. gama472 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I finally took my laptop to Bestbuy and they runned a diagnosis check that day. My laptop is being shipped to be fixed. I don't know what the problem is (I forgot to ask).

22. randomrazr macrumors 65816

told yah

23. Ccrew macrumors 68020

He said he dropped it off a table. Maybe he jarred the software loose :)

Why I don't buy BB warranties......

24. gama472, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

gama472 thread starter macrumors newbie

The guys at Bestbuy work pretty fast. They shipped my computer the 8th and they told me that it would take two weeks to get it fixed. It arrived the 17 so it is just a matter of time to send my brother to pick it up because right now I am outside of the U.S.

25. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Please get AppleCare on it too. I've had no good experience with Geek Squad's Black Tie Protection Program.