Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D34th

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
Has anyone heard of http://www.bestpricecameras.com and if so, are they any good? Their prices are great, some seem to be a little too great but they also seem to be a legit site. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them or has heard anything? Thank you...

And if it matters, I am looking a some Nikon cameras, the D40 or D80. Right now, from that site, I like the D40 with the Nikon 18-70 f3.5-4.5 AF-S lens. I could get both for a total of about $500 (US), seems a little extreme considering that is usually the cost of just the body at other places. What do you think?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's a scam site. They score a remarkable 0.0 over the last six months on resellerratings.com. (Their lifetime rating creeps up to 0.16.) They've been mentioned here before as well.

If it looks too good to be true, it is.

D34th

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
Yeah sorry, I just checked resellerraitings.com. I should have checked first, was not thinking. Thank you...

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Yeah sorry, I just checked resellerraitings.com. I should have checked first, was not thinking. Thank you...

Woot. Resellerratings.com has saved my life so many times it's not even funny.

B&H is a little too pricey for me most of the time however. I get all of my big buys from Allen's Camera in Pennsylvania. Their website isn't much (you can google it) but their customer service is incredible, and they price out products based on their profits - not what everyone else is doing. The 70-200 f/2.8 VR was $1629 from them (in stores they're asking $1799 + tax!) they ship things out lightning fast. It's also fairly common to get the owner of the company when you call, and they always give you good advice - regardless of whether or not you're going to buy anything. They are very well known in the professional field, lots of guys go there.

I originally called them because I got a tip that they had a shipment of D200s back when everyone was sold out for 6 months straight - about a month into Penn's waiting list (and still ~50 people from the top) I looked elsewhere. I called them up, they got a shipment of 25 that Friday and had 3 left when I called Saturday, I think I received it Tuesday via ground.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.