bet this runs at a good pace...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by grooveattack, Jun 9, 2008.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

( before we start i had no idea where to post this so please feel free to move it)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7443557.stm

this looks awesome, why dont apple start to dabble in super computers? these speeds with OSX would be amazing!

that is all

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They already do. The Mac Pro is the most powerful single computer on the planet. That's as close as any one person really needs.

At any rate, if Apple made supercomputers they would be able to do what RoadRunner does but be the size of only one of those blade towers.

Oh, and it would be anodized aluminum and have glossy accents.

3. grooveattack thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh and they put it to helping all humanity by making it look after America's nuke's. cuh.....not climate change or predicting hurricanes. tut tut.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple would just have it run their website.

And draft their prototypes.

And design the factory that would build their products.

And pre-render Stevenote slides. Keynote's a resource hog, don'tcha' know?

5. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Lol I assume that's a joke :p

Why don't they? Well... Virginia Tech did make a supercomputer out of G5's back in 2003... but that wasn't Apple making it, of course.

The market for supercomputers that powerful is very small, and it's very costly to make.

Apple doesn't really have the resources to do something like that, nor is it in that market.... and what on earth does OS X have to do with anything- it wouldn't be running OS X.

I just wonder what happens when they add in hundreds of GPUs in to the mix to speed up those particular calculations along with the "standard" CPUs and the Cells.

6. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto