Beta 2.0 Software and 64bit Movies???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bacaramac, May 11, 2008.

1. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Can anyone with the Beta software 2.0 check to see if 64bit M4V files from HandBrake will play. On the current version it lets you sync, but gives an error playing movie on the iPhone.

Thanks. Want to start ripping movies in 64bit if it works.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The only reason to do that is if you want files over 4 GB.

I have to say, if you're getting files that large you're wasting space by encoding at a bit rate that provides more detail than the iPhone can display anyway.

Let's put this in context:

Let's say you take Handbrake's default iPhone setting and you DOUBLE the bit-rate. So you're getting twice the data that Handbrake thinks you need.

Ok, then you encode a 3-hour movie with that. (Pretty long movie, but possible.)

Doing all that gives you a file that's roughly 2.5 GB. So I've got to ask, how are you hitting 4 GB files unless you're just raising the bit-rate beyond a reasonable number?

3. bacaramac thread starter macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I have come up with a preset that allows me to have DVD quality for ATV, Mac and iPhone (one file for all). I start with iPod Hi-Rez, use constant quality @ 70%, Use the AAC/AC3 5.1 Codec, Strict Anamorphic, remove frame rate limit, No iPod Atom. iPhone handles this great (no dropped frames that I have seen), except good movies like Transformers, etc end up just over 4GB so I have to re-encode as HB errors out once size hits 4GB.

Not a big deal, but wanted to check to see if this works for 2.0 software on iPhone.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ah, yes. The dreaded debate of: "Do I waste space on my portable or do I maintain multiple files of different sizes?"

I really wish iTunes would let you put multiple files within one entry on the list. Like, you could encode a large and a small movie but iTunes treats both files as one file and knows to send the big one to the ATV and the small one to the iPhone.

Ok, just dreaming there. That doesn't' really help you, but I understand your predicament.