Beta 2 - No 4G, phone turns itself off!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by dannster, Jun 20, 2014.

1. dannster macrumors regular

dannster

Hi all,

I updated to Beta 2 but the signal issues I had with Beta 1 are still there and they've also removed 4G from the settings!

I find that if my iPhone loses signal then it struggles to reconnect and I end up having to reset the iPhone.

I've also noticed that it decides to turn itself off and won't turn back on unless I do a reset (holding down the home and power button). This morning my alarm didn't go off and I was late to work because of this! haha.

Overall, I've find both Beta's to be really quite bad. I've tried to downgrade to iOS 7 but when I go through the steps iTunes tells me that I can't do it!

2. Azy macrumors regular

Trusting beta software with your alarm clock is a pretty bad move, but clearly you know that now! If it's your main device you gotta be careful, you may end up not getting that important message or not being able to make a really important call. It's for testing, not everyday use.

I assume you're trying a dfu restore? I.e hold down home and power button for around 10 seconds (until screen turns off plus around five extra seconds) and then release power but keep holding home. Will look like nothing's happening but iTunes will recognise it and allow you to restore your phone.

3. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Don't use beats for your day to day tasks such as setting an alarm or answering/making very important phone calls and if you do use it's your fault. Can't blame beta builds for that. I know the 4G issue and I do experience it myself but I don't blame anyone for that expect myself for installing it :D

4. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

5. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

People need to stop using beta software on their daily phones without knowing how to downgrade and then complaining when it doesn't work... To restore back to iOS 7, download the IPSW that you need for your phone, put your phone in DFU mode (turn your phone off and then plug your phone into your computer holding down the home button) and then click alt and restore and select the IPSW you just downloaded.

6. dannster thread starter macrumors regular

dannster

I knew I'd get people saying I shouldn't use a beta on my main phone so it's my own fault blah blah blah. I know.

I'm just sharing what's happened with my iPhone, and that the downgrading method hasn't worked for me. I get an error in iTunes saying I can't downgrade to a lower iOS (7). So I'm kinda stuck with iOS 8?!

7. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Beta 2 - No 4G, phone turns itself off!

No. You're not stuck. Do what I said and you'll be able to downgrade... It sounds like you downloaded the IPSW for 7.1 and not 7.1.1. Apple isn't signing 7.1 anymore so you wouldn't be able to restore to it.

P.S. Your attitude is pretty awful for starting a thread asking people to help you get out of a jam you jumped into obviously without doing as much research as you should've.

8. dannster thread starter macrumors regular

dannster

Thanks, but my attitude isn't "pretty awful". Chill!

I see it too often on here when someone mentions a bug everyone jumps to tell them the obvious. It's just unnecessary.

9. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Obviously it wasn't obvious to you... That's what I mean. You're placing the blame on people who "jump to tell them the obvious" instead of on yourself for not doing the research ahead of time.

You never listed the steps of how you tried to downgrade, making it hard for people to help. You weren't talking about a bug... I guess you were indirectly but the bulk of your point was basically asking help on how to downgrade, which you should know how to do properly before messing around with beta software. No one is being unnecessary here... They're "telling you the obvious".

10. CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

Just put your device in DFU mode, and iTunes will download the latest version of iOS and install it after your confirmation. No need to download anything yourself. I restored from beta1 to 7.1.1. this way. You probably downloaded an earlier version than 7.1.1 as Burton8219 said.

11. Azy macrumors regular

This. Put your phone in dfu mode and allow iTunes to restore, you don't need to download an ispw, from dfu mode iTunes will download the latest appropriate (non beta) software for your phone.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Or essentially recovery mode: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

13. dannster thread starter macrumors regular

dannster

14. rssfed23 macrumors member

To this day I still worry when daylight savings time kicks in/goes away (even though it was fixed a while ago...) - Apple has never been 100% at ensuring your alarm goes off when it should (or actually goes off at all) after time changes ;).

The bottom line is; for the really important things in life; always have a backup that can save you!