Beta 3 - Apple Maps unusable

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Noted, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Noted macrumors member

Ok I know what you're going to say.. it's already unusable compared to Google Maps but I prefer the GPS on the new Apple Maps in iOS7.

Has anyone else noticed that the maps are not loading properly in beta 3? I'll be driving and then suddenly the map will disappear into nothing and it just shows squares.

2. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

I have seen a few people talking about this in the "Bugs and Changes" thread. Not sure if it is everyone. I haven't been able to use the maps for an extended period of time, but they have been pretty buggy since beta 1. I think they had ALOT of work to do on this app, and they are working to make sure we don't have a repeat of last years mess (not that I thought it was THAT big of a mess).

To be honest. I think Apple Maps looks and works better than Google Maps. That being said, I am excited to see what the GM brings to get people back on board.

3. pugnut macrumors 6502a

I have used it twice since a fresh install and had no real issues.

4. fabytmHD macrumors regular

Works great for me on the iPhone 5!

5. kdhoe macrumors member

I had the same problem today. Only when using navigation.

6. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

When I told it to get me a route home tonight and it couldn't load the map up, I then tried again a few minutes later and it worked fine.

It seemed to be fine all the way home.

7. matty.p macrumors 6502

I used it yesterday for about three hours navigating the entire time and it worked fine for me. It did get a bit wonky when it switched into "night" mode with colors updating some places but not others but otherwise seemed to work well. That's on an iPhone 5.

8. Strang0r macrumors member

Strang0r

I have the same problem, when the map disappears I can pinch to zoom out and then the map loads, leave it alone and the map will disappear again...

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Worked fine in Beta 2, works fine in Beta 3 and Siri doesnt sound depressed anymore.

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Surprised no one has (obnoxiously) said "its a beta."

11. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I've never used Apple Maps since discovering Google Maps' one handed operation - double tap + drag. If you double tap and drag up/down on the second tap, you can zoom in and out, which is actually an incredibly useful way to navigate when riding crowded commuter trains (when you often have only one hand available for using the phone, making a two-finger double tap to zoom out incredibly difficult)

13. rdinterman macrumors member

rdinterman

Still an issue

Tried a fresh install and the problem remains. Both on LTE and 4G. Works for a few miles, then just squares in both day and night mode. Wonder if it is a conflict with some other installed app. Killed all apps except maps and still an issue. Yep, I know, it's a Beta but this one seems to affect so few people.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Works fine for me. Try a clean install?

15. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I've found apple maps in b3 seems to work better for me.

In fact yesterday it was the only app to correctly route me home when the 1st Severn bridge was closed into England direction .

Sygic/tomtom and google maps all tried to route me over the 1st bridge with a warning of heavy traffic showing red on the bridge. It was closed!!!

Apple maps correctly routed me to the 2nd bridge instead !

I was pretty surprised actually! I'm presuming it did it on purpose and knew about the closure

16. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Are you driving the train?
    ;)

17. Zcott macrumors 68020

I've had this issue as well on beta 3. Don't think it was like that on beta 2, and I know in beta 3 they've removed the night mode. Sounds like there's a bit of work going on with the navigation.

18. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

No, just holding on for dear life ;)

19. Bentoh macrumors newbie

Used it to drive to town and back to office, smooth and sweet drive... location collections still sucks though :p

20. taedouni macrumors 65816

Topics like this belong in the Apple Developer forum, not here.

21. HarryAinslie macrumors regular

HarryAinslie

I used Maps when i was home (UK) last week, did a lot of travelling up & down the country and it killed my data usage. I'll be staying with my Tom Tom app for this reason.

22. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I used it once a few days ago when I came up upon a closed road and it got me home no problems. iPhone 5 iOS 7 b3.

23. HCO macrumors regular

HCO

i like these apple maps never had one problem with them. and in iOS 7 they are better with night mode.

24. Jakimo macrumors 6502

When beta 3 arrived I updated via OTA, but my Maps app doesn't keep loading data as I drive. If I do Overview and go back to Navigation, I get a quick load but in 10-20 seconds I've already run out of data.

I'm wondering, did anyone else have this issue - and then fix it by Installing beta 3 via iTunes?

25. CGagnon macrumors regular

CGagnon

Why are you driving around with your test device? Shouldn't you just be using your primary device in the car?

----------

OP is probably not a developer and therefore doesn't have access to the Developer forum.