Beta 3 bricked my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by stepfish59, Jul 10, 2013.

1. stepfish59 macrumors newbie

Hello all! I know that a lot of people have already posted topics related to this one but mine is a bit different. I've had beta 3 since it was available and haven't had any problems with it until today. After locking my phone, I went to unlock it not more than 5 mins later, and did not get a response. I connected it to power and that hasn't affected it either. I also connected it to my computer and iTunes and its not registered on either one. Normally I would try DFU mode but my lock button is broken and have no alternative than to ask for the help of all of you. Thank you in advance!

2. nellyplatinum macrumors member

i understand everything you have said and it sounds like you took the right steps but why install this knowing your lock button is broken? i think tinyumbrella can put your phone in dfu mode so google and see what you can find

3. TC25 macrumors 68020

Broken lock button = SOL.

Installing beta software on a phone with a hardware problem was a really dumb idea. You have to visit your local Apple store.

4. xraytech macrumors 68020

No Lock Button = Paper Weight

Where did you get your iPhone 5?

5. stepfish59 thread starter macrumors newbie

That may be but even so, the iPhone is not even recognized by my computer so wouldn't that not be possible since the computer is saying that the phone is not connected to it?

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

As the other people in this thread have stated, installing beta software with hardware defects was a horrendous idea. Take it to Apple.

7. stepfish59 thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand its not a good idea but my lock button only broke this past week, after I'd had the previous 2 betas since they became available. As for taking it to Apple, my iPhone is out of warranty which makes Apple pretty useless unless I decide to just buy the 5.

8. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Don't bother. They don't support pre release software in store. They will tell you to go home and restore it back to iOS 6.

9. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I thought you had the 5, my bad.

You don't really have a whole lot of other options however.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Too bad you didn't revert back to iOS 6 the moment you realized your lock button was broken.

Apple may give you a replacement for the out of warranty replacement price. I forget how much it was for iPhones, but could be a possible solution.

11. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

If Apple doesn't work out, take it to a local repair shop.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A broken lock button "bricked" your phone, not the beta. I'm with nellyplatinum on this one ... google tinyumbrella.