Beta 3 Headphone jack issue (FIXED in Beta 4)

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Armen, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Armen, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Has anyone figured out how to release the headphone jack as an output source beside restarting the phone?

For those who do not know what I'm talking about once you plugin in headphones and then unplug them no media will play through the device's speaker unless you restart the device.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

This is one of those "it's a beta" type of things. ;)

But seriously though, have you tried playing something though the speaker while the headphones are still plugged in (I believe at least some apps will allow you to do that), and, assuming that that works actually, take out the headphones at that point (either while you are playing back something though the speaker or right after perhaps)?

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Just tested this and couldn't reproduce it.

When I have headphones plugged in, music/media play through them. Once unplugged music plays through the built in speakers.

4. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

It's working again and then stopped working again.

----------

Try unplugging the headphones while a song is still playing.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

You might have a hardware problem. And yes, annoying coincidences like this do happen.

6. biopig macrumors member

Got another issue that after clicking the middle button on EarPod to pause the music, the music app is hanged. But outside the music app, that button functions normally.

7. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

known issue.

----------

Works fine on iOS 7.1.2 so it's not a hardware problem. I guess I'll roll back to 7.1.2 since I listen to music all the time at work and don't want to deal with this.

Hoping Beta 4 is as good as it was in the iOS 7 betas.

8. varsityhero macrumors regular

I'm having this exact same issue. Definitely not a hardware issue.

9. didoriginal macrumors newbie

10. zemaker macrumors regular

I hope you guys are filing these bug reports with Apple, instead posting them here where they are pointless.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Certainly far from pointless. But yes any worthy issues should be filed with Apple as well.

12. Topher227 macrumors regular

I found a workaround for this bug... not sure why it works, but it does about 80% of the time.

Hold down the home button for about 3/4 of a second (just before Siri engages) and press the sleep button. Yes, take a screenshot... But, you need to hold down the home button for longer.

If it doesn't work the first time, make sure your sound switch is on (not muted) and swipe closed any music apps you may have open.

13. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Similar to Topher227, I turn the screen off, push the power button to show the lock screen, then take a screen shot. It restores my sound 75% of the time. If it doesn't, than a hard reboot for me.

14. bartonjd macrumors member

Re

I have managed to reproduce it, it doesn't happen every time, but nearly. Also the remote on the headphone jack is non functional for me. Looking forward to trying Beta 4 when it finishes downloading in 40 seconds!