Beta 4 as daily driver?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by chillip, Aug 1, 2016.

?

How is Developer Beta 4 for you as a daily driver

1. Love it! A few bugs here and there don't matter...

120 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. It's OK. Some bugs make me wish I still had 9.3.3, but I'm not going back.

23 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. Tried it. Can't use it. Too many bugs for me at the moment.

13 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. chillip macrumors 6502a

Firstly I have a dev account and currently running iOS 10 on my iPad mini 4. Just updated to beta 4. I want to put it on my 6S as a daily driver. Is it stable enough for day to day use?

2. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

I'm having absolutely no issues. Feels like a GM.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Probably hard to say without actually observing it for a few days to keep an eye on it all.

4. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Facetime calling to older iOS 7/8/9 was reported to be broken on Beta 4. Keep that in mind if you rely on Facetime calls.

5. k.alexander macrumors regular

k.alexander

Copied this from another user who posted the same poll for beta 3; curious how beta 4 is?

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You have it on your iPad. Can't you make your own decision based off how it runs on your own iPad if it's good enough for your phone? You're using the beta, you should know if it's stable enough....

Does every single build need to have its own "is it a daily driver?" Thread.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

8. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

It's been out 2 hours...........

9. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

I think we should have a rule that prohibits people asking if a developer beta should be used as a daily driver.

Answer: No, no, no. Wait for public release. If you have a spare device or a device you don't rely on like an iPad, download the beta on there to play with if you like. Otherwise, patience.

10. trikotret macrumors member

I have no problems face time calling iOS 9. Works fine

11. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

FT is only not working when trying to FT someone on an older iOS 10 beta. Older iOS's (9, 8 and so on) are fine.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

So was it stable enough from that one hour to the next hour use? ;)

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

BofA App working on this beta? (only thing that prevents me from using it so far)

14. mrthomnas macrumors regular

I started on beta 3 (updating from 9.3.3 GM) and haven't had any major issues on beta 3 or 4. There is the occasional hang, seemingly from a new feature taking too many resources or an app not being optimized for iOS 10, but overall I think that it has been running as well as 9.3.3 GM for me and even better in some instances. Anecdotal but there you go.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention in beta 3, changing songs was really really laggy. It seems to be fixed in beta 4 for me.

15. Merkie macrumors 68020

This makes no sense at all. How does this answers OP's question? And where's your reasoning? I'm running iOS 10 on both my personal and work phone and they are both running fine. So I don't see any reason to prohibit asking perfectly legitimate questions. You are not contributing.

16. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

it's not a legitimate question, because it's a beta not designed for daily driver use.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, then that would essentially be a de facto answer to such questions at all times while anything is in beta. But then how does Apple imagine having public betas given that most people don't really have separate test devices to run those on?

18. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

Late betas have always been more than good enough to daily.

Like previously mentioned, you're not contributing. Running into threads to call the topic pointless isn't going to make you very popular around here, so drop it.

19. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Who do you think you are, the town sheriff? I've been here 5 years longer than you have, mate.

There are so many people on this forum that by next Tuesday you will have forgotten who I am. So, chill out.

Exactly! Notice the bold part of my first post here - developer beta.

Apple's release of the public beta is their all-clear signal that the beta is suitable for daily use without too much of an impact.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right, and since at least for iOS those public betas are basically the same ones that are developer betas it seems that asking those who are running developer betas as to how things are working out for them from a daily driver perspective would seem to be like something that would provide some useful information (once that information can be gathered).

21. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

I would argue that in the time it takes developers to test the build thoroughly enough, Apple will have released it to the public anyway.

But it's fine. Some people are super impatient when it comes to these things. I get it.

22. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I see the logic here, but I don't think that's quite true - in most cases, the public beta is exactly the same build as the developer preview. I assume Apple must check for catastrophic bugs like data loss before the public build is seeded, but I've tested many which were nowhere near stable enough for daily use. Major WiFi issues, not being able to login to iCloud, random restarts, lack of mobile data have all been issues I've faced at one point or another when testing public betas on non-primary devices.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sure, but their feedback would still be useful even once the public beta is released given that the mere release of it doesn't necessrily say how stable it is and what quirks might be there.

24. stooovie macrumors 6502a

It's okay for daily use. If a particular app bugs out, you can go back easily.

25. CoriG macrumors 6502

Bank of America app was fixed a week ago with an update. I was working fine in the PB2.