Beta 4 locks AT&T customers out of FaceTime over cellular!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Beezzy, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Beezzy macrumors 6502

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344305516.044003.jpg

WTF! And I'm on the 5GB data plan. This is stupid!

2. profets macrumors 68040

How was it on previous betas? Showed the prompt but still allowed the FaceTime call?

3. Beezzy thread starter macrumors 6502

I had FaceTime over cell on since Beta 1. It was never a problem. Im upset that its another charge At&t has now. The Wifi in my house is very week. I have better upload/download video connection with my 4S connection because of the HSPA+

4. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

This is the epitome of the phrase "nickel & dime." I imagine we're looking at moving off of unlimited data or another 5 or 10 bucks a month to use this.

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I have unlimited and Ive had facetime over 3g up until beta 4.

6. profets macrumors 68040

I think at this point we need to put some of the blame in apple. They've obviously designed it so carriers get that control over the feature.

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

well I think its either that or people wont have the option at all. I wouldnt blame apple for this.

8. Beezzy thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple can't be in charge of stuff like that with data specific services.

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

In response to "Why doesn't Sprint charge for it?" before you edited it:

Because they choose not to. Apple isn't in charge of it, all they're doing is giving the carriers freedom to choose whether they wanna charge or not. At the end of the day, it's the carriers who will or will not be making money from stuff like Facetime over 3G. Apple doesn't make money from you using data on your phone, the carriers do. I don't see how this is Apple's fault.

10. Beezzy thread starter macrumors 6502

I changed it because I miss read the post I quoted. But yeah its just lame overall. If we're not on unlimited and pay per GB anyways, why make an extra charge. *Brain explodes from anger*

11. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yeah I understand. I just don't see how it's Apple's fault.

12. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

It's a valid question- why is Apple letting the carriers have their way in this matter? I don't ask that in a sarcastic or assumptive manner, I just want to know why they decided to let AT&T get away with this when they have successfully pressured AT&T to do what they want in the past. I find it hard to believe that Apple is completely okay with what AT&T is doing.

13. bgro macrumors 6502a

this is pretty ridiculous. Why should AT&T dictate how I want to use my data. They are already giving us tiers..let us use our data that we PAY for how we want to. Time to maybe look at Sprint or Verizon. I have 4 lines on a family plan and don't mind paying a little bit extra (get corporate discounts at all three carriers) if Verizon doesn't end up charging for this. Ridiculous.

14. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

All the more reason to jailbreak and get it for free...

use your data the way you want. screw att

15. bgro macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Hopefully there will be an iOS 6 JB sooner rather than later. Especially for the new iPhone

16. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

yea thats the only crappy thing it was a while for the 4s. im sure the 4s,4, iPad 3 will have jailbreak soon after ios6 is released.

17. Beezzy thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't wanna JB, there is always some battery leak with an app or something that can happen. They should have a battery leak with a feature built into the phone's software.

18. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

never had an issue with jb. ive been doing it for the past 4 years with iphones. so many more options to do things. Why be limited? its safe...
    you go ahead and pay att the money for this while i have it for free like i have the last two years and my free tethering plan...

19. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Well that's what we get instead of att crapware pre installed!

20. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

We'll see what happens when iOS 6 officially comes out. This is just a beta, remember.

But if it ends up being that they charge extra on top of their plans to use FaceTime over 3G, I will not upgrade to the next iPhone and will switch to Verizon in a year, especially if the iPhone 5 is LTE.

21. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

When this was discovered on the last beta, the popup to contact AT&T, a spokesperson mentioned that they were exploring all options and an announcement would be made soon about pricing. This will happen. I'm glad this is something I have never used and never will.

I will get my next iPhone on AT&T and will be dumping Verizon as soon as I can afford the ETF.

22. profets macrumors 68040

Why not? Is apple suddenly afraid of the carriers? They've caused so much good change in the industry because they've done what they want, not by listening to the carriers.

It's an iOS feature, they can do whatever they want really.

23. ITGuy macrumors regular

In one of Apple's written responses to the government (I can't remember if it was after the "locationgate" or "privacygate" issue), Apple clearly stated their agreement with AT&T requires that AT&T approve Apple providing voice over IP features utilizing the cell network, which includes FaceTime over 3G.

In order to finally get FaceTime over 3G approved by AT&T, it would appear that Apple had to provide AT&T with a mechanism to enforce specific data plans for customers wishing to use FaceTime over 3G, i.e. no unlimited data plan.

Don't forget that thanks to iMessage, AT&T has lost bucket loads of cash from their ripoff SMS text cash cow. AT&T wants to get some of that money back.

-ITG

24. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

For those on AT&T, why not just use Skype instead? I'm on VZW and don't use FaceTime. I'm just curious about all the rage when there are alternatives available.

25. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

With skype both side need to be log in! With facetime it is just like making a call rather the person is online or bot! Not an im chat webcam thing!