Beta 4 locks AT&T customers out of FaceTime over cellular!

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
How was it on previous betas? Showed the prompt but still allowed the FaceTime call?

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
How was it on previous betas? Showed the prompt but still allowed the FaceTime call?
I had FaceTime over cell on since Beta 1. It was never a problem. Im upset that its another charge At&t has now. The Wifi in my house is very week. I have better upload/download video connection with my 4S connection because of the HSPA+

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2009
This is the epitome of the phrase "nickel & dime." I imagine we're looking at moving off of unlimited data or another 5 or 10 bucks a month to use this.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I think at this point we need to put some of the blame in apple. They've obviously designed it so carriers get that control over the feature.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I think at this point we need to put some of the blame in apple. They've obviously designed it so carriers get that control over the feature.
well I think its either that or people wont have the option at all. I wouldnt blame apple for this.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Apple can't be in charge of stuff like that with data specific services.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
In response to "Why doesn't Sprint charge for it?" before you edited it:

Because they choose not to. Apple isn't in charge of it, all they're doing is giving the carriers freedom to choose whether they wanna charge or not. At the end of the day, it's the carriers who will or will not be making money from stuff like Facetime over 3G. Apple doesn't make money from you using data on your phone, the carriers do. I don't see how this is Apple's fault.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
In response to "Why doesn't Sprint charge for it?" before you edited it:

Because they choose not to. Apple isn't in charge of it, all they're doing is giving the carriers freedom to choose whether they wanna charge or not. At the end of the day, it's the carriers who will or will not be making money from stuff like Facetime over 3G. Apple doesn't make money from you using data on your phone, the carriers do. I don't see how this is Apple's fault.
I changed it because I miss read the post I quoted. But yeah its just lame overall. If we're not on unlimited and pay per GB anyways, why make an extra charge. *Brain explodes from anger*

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I changed it because I miss read the post I quoted. But yeah its just lame overall. If we're not on unlimited and pay per GB anyways, why make an extra charge. *Brain explodes from anger*
Yeah I understand. I just don't see how it's Apple's fault.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Yeah I understand. I just don't see how it's Apple's fault.
It's a valid question- why is Apple letting the carriers have their way in this matter? I don't ask that in a sarcastic or assumptive manner, I just want to know why they decided to let AT&T get away with this when they have successfully pressured AT&T to do what they want in the past. I find it hard to believe that Apple is completely okay with what AT&T is doing.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
this is pretty ridiculous. Why should AT&T dictate how I want to use my data. They are already giving us tiers..let us use our data that we PAY for how we want to. Time to maybe look at Sprint or Verizon. I have 4 lines on a family plan and don't mind paying a little bit extra (get corporate discounts at all three carriers) if Verizon doesn't end up charging for this. Ridiculous.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
All the more reason to jailbreak and get it for free...

use your data the way you want. screw att

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Agreed. Hopefully there will be an iOS 6 JB sooner rather than later. Especially for the new iPhone
yea thats the only crappy thing it was a while for the 4s. im sure the 4s,4, iPad 3 will have jailbreak soon after ios6 is released.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
yea thats the only crappy thing it was a while for the 4s. im sure the 4s,4, iPad 3 will have jailbreak soon after ios6 is released.
I don't wanna JB, there is always some battery leak with an app or something that can happen. They should have a battery leak with a feature built into the phone's software.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
I don't wanna JB, there is always some battery leak with an app or something that can happen. They should have a battery leak with a feature built into the phone's software.
never had an issue with jb. ive been doing it for the past 4 years with iphones. so many more options to do things. Why be limited? its safe...
you go ahead and pay att the money for this while i have it for free like i have the last two years and my free tethering plan...

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
We'll see what happens when iOS 6 officially comes out. This is just a beta, remember.

But if it ends up being that they charge extra on top of their plans to use FaceTime over 3G, I will not upgrade to the next iPhone and will switch to Verizon in a year, especially if the iPhone 5 is LTE.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
We'll see what happens when iOS 6 officially comes out. This is just a beta, remember.

But if it ends up being that they charge extra on top of their plans to use FaceTime over 3G, I will not upgrade to the next iPhone and will switch to Verizon in a year, especially if the iPhone 5 is LTE.
When this was discovered on the last beta, the popup to contact AT&T, a spokesperson mentioned that they were exploring all options and an announcement would be made soon about pricing. This will happen. I'm glad this is something I have never used and never will.

I will get my next iPhone on AT&T and will be dumping Verizon as soon as I can afford the ETF.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
well I think its either that or people wont have the option at all. I wouldnt blame apple for this.
Why not? Is apple suddenly afraid of the carriers? They've caused so much good change in the industry because they've done what they want, not by listening to the carriers.

It's an iOS feature, they can do whatever they want really.

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
In one of Apple's written responses to the government (I can't remember if it was after the "locationgate" or "privacygate" issue), Apple clearly stated their agreement with AT&T requires that AT&T approve Apple providing voice over IP features utilizing the cell network, which includes FaceTime over 3G.

In order to finally get FaceTime over 3G approved by AT&T, it would appear that Apple had to provide AT&T with a mechanism to enforce specific data plans for customers wishing to use FaceTime over 3G, i.e. no unlimited data plan.

Don't forget that thanks to iMessage, AT&T has lost bucket loads of cash from their ripoff SMS text cash cow. AT&T wants to get some of that money back.

-ITG

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
For those on AT&T, why not just use Skype instead? I'm on VZW and don't use FaceTime. I'm just curious about all the rage when there are alternatives available.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
For those on AT&T, why not just use Skype instead? I'm on VZW and don't use FaceTime. I'm just curious about all the rage when there are alternatives available.
With skype both side need to be log in! With facetime it is just like making a call rather the person is online or bot! Not an im chat webcam thing!