Beta 5 - Copy to remote drive doesn't work

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by bbeagle, Aug 12, 2016.

1. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Trying to copy and paste to a networked remote drive, and it doesn't work in Beta 5.

I can do the copy from either side, then when I try to do a paste with the keyboard, I get an error 43. When I try to do it from the right-click menus, I find that there is no 'Paste' option.

Is this the case for everyone else? I know Apple is working on the improved cut-paste across iOS devices, maybe this is part of something not done yet?

Note: The networked drive was a Microsoft Windows drive if this matters.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Is it formatted as NTFS? OS X can't natively write to NTFS. Do you have a third-party application to enable this functionality? If so, it could be that application having a slight hiccup with Sierra.

3. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

If it's networked the underlying file system doesn't matter. The transport mechanism, in this case SMB/CIFS, is the issue. Unfortunately OS X has traditionally been... problematic with SMB.

OP how did you connect to the share? Where you asked to authenticate? It sounds like it may be a permissions error on the Windows side (though it may just be the usual OS X funkiness with Windows shares :()

4. bbeagle thread starter macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I can connect to the Windows share and see the files. Never a problem with El Capitan. Worked perfectly. I can move through directories and see files, and even view files. I just can't cut-and-paste. Again, not a problem with El Capitan, just with the Beta 5 of Sierra.

5. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

Does the file you're trying to copy have any special characters in it? Can you try another file?

I'm afraid I might not be much help on this today as I don't have a lot of time.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I'm running 10.12 DP5 in a VMware Fusion VM and was able to copy/paste files to/from my Seagate NAS with no problems. Of course the NAS is not NTFS format.

7. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Presuming this is a work environment, yes? The windows server in question - is it in the local / metropolitan network, or are you accessing it remotely via VPN or some other secure connection?
    Any idea what the enterprise directory is for your network? (using a non-microsoft enterprise directory, in many enterprises, streamlines access for non-windows systems). Any chance you had such a client installed on El Capitan?

Pretty sure if you do a "get info" on the folder you're trying to write to, finder is going to tell you that you only have read access to the drive (this is likely an indicator that this is the global permission for guest access to that resource on your network).

8. bbeagle thread starter macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I thought this was an issue with the beta... might still be, I don't know....

I looked, wasn't locked, I was logged into the Windows share as a regular user - not guest.

Additionally, I could not copy TO my mac either. Any copies did not register either FROM my mac or TO my mac with this share involved. Odd. But I could view files there, even rename files, duplicate files, whatever I wanted to do, just not cut-and-paste from or to that share drive.

So, I thought, last resort, I'll reboot...

Now it works fine.

Could be the beta, and I'm leaning towards that instead of anything wrong with the shares because after cutting (either by using the keyboard command-c or right clicking copy), there was no paste option in the right-click menu.

Odd. I hope it doesn't happen again.

9. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

It could have been that your session either with the domain controllers or the server where stale - when that happens things can get strange. Not entirely sure what you meant by "wasn't locked".
    In *nix systems, permissions are read, write and execute. Read access will allow you to see that the file is there, but copying it elsewhere can often require execute access.
    If this is a work machine, hopefully you have some IT staff that can hook you up with a client you can install to have more robust connectivity to the windows servers (which also helps with things like your password renewals, etc).