Beta 5 expiration?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by deadlock, Sep 2, 2015.

1. deadlock macrumors newbie

While we can assume that the next iOS 9 release will be on the 9/9 with the GM release, my question is whether we know when Beta 5 will stop working?

My reason for asking is I'm going to be unable to grab the last release on the 9th - in fact it'll likely be after the 16th that I get the chance - will my phone have bricked by then?

Need to decide whether to revert to 8.4.1 or not...

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Just to be safe, I'd go back to 8.4.1 when you can. There doesn't seem to be a set expiration date that can be found in the software anymore so no one really knows when beta 5 will expire. The past iOS 9 betas sort of just expired out of no where. I think beta 3 recently expired...haven't heard about beta 4 yet.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Public Beta users won't likely get pushed the GM on the keynote day. It's a GM for devs to wrapup their polishing their apps for any API changes.

They are more likely to get pushed the update sometime around 9/14-16 with some grace period beyond that. I wouldn't sweat it.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's very unlikely that the last beta would expire before the final public version is released, and most likely not until sometime after (at least a week if not a few weeks after). That said, no one really knows for sure these days unfortunately.

5. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Dev builds and public builds have been exactly the same, with the same release times. I don't see why the GM would be any different. The GM going to public testers would allow Apple to receive some bug reports of the public version ahead of time, so it wouldn't do anything but help Apple to give it to everyone like they have been the whole time.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

We'll have to see I guess, but the purpose of GM isn't the same as that of a beta.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

GM has never been OTA. Required fresh load.
    Has been no system for public testers in the past for this.

8. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

True, but it still wouldn't hurt to let public testers know what they're getting into in a few days when iOS 9 goes public. Apple doesn't like downgrading though, so I don't think they would want public testers to see that the final version is garbage and go back to iOS 8. Changed my mind lol.
    You've got me there. We will just have to see what Apple decides.

9. deadlock thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers Guys

Should have mentioned that I'm on the dev track, rather than public, but also sounds like I needn't worry overly
    (And yes I know I *shouldn't* put it on my main device, but I wasn't expecting to not be able to grab the final build on release date...)

10. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I know it's a whole different bag, but Yosemite last summer got all three GM candidates in the Public Beta Program. So, I doubt GM's are specific to only devs.

11. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

My guess is it won't expire until the end of September.

12. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Apparently the iOS 8 beta 5 (released 4th August) expired 6th October. Considering the iOS 9 beta 5 was released 6th August and that iOS 8 GM came out the same date that iOS 9 GM is expected to drop, that is a fairly safe guess of when iOS 9 beta 5 will expire too.

What everyone's already said should be enough to assure you that you're safe given your situation, I merely add this for anyone interested in a likely expiration date

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

GM has been OTA in the past.

14. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

Do you remember which version of iOS you say this happened with? I THINK you are mistaken, as I always remember GM's not being available via OTA, but I may not be remembering right.

15. GreyOS, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015

GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Couple of things worth clarifying first (please correct me if I'm wrong)
    1. Let's distinguish between a GM release and a public release. Even if they are the same build, they are released at different times, in a different manner, to different people.
    2. Point updates (like x.1) never seem to get GM releases. They go from beta to public release.

I am pretty sure you are right that you've never been able to update OTA from a beta to a GM. Looking at this article and its comments, it was certainly not possible with iOS 8.0.

That said, if my memory serves me correctly, the 7.1 public release was the first time you could update OTA from a beta to public release, and quite possibly this was also the case for the 8.x point updates too. Note again that I'm talking about beta to public not beta to GM, as there is no GM for point updates.

Finally, it could well have been possible to update from an iOS 8.0 beta to the iOS 8.0 public release, but I can't find any information on this. Most people would have manually updated to the GM by then I guess.

edit: Regarding that last point, I found someone saying they updated from iOS 8.0 beta 5 to the public release. Note how a few posts above I expressed an interest in whether it was possible, hehe.

So, I think if last year is anything to go by, if you're running the latest iOS 8 beta then you won't be able to OTA to the GM when it's released to devs on the 9th, but you will be able to OTA to that build when it's released to the public a week or two later.

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

If I remember correctly, the last couple were. I was able to upgrade to GM through OTA when on the development release channel.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This is my expectation.

18. batting1000 macrumors 604

GMs are not released as OTA updates through the Settings app. Never have been.

19. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'm confident that they have been. We're all playing off memory here.

20. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

GMs are usually not available OTA but you can Shift + Update to GM from Beta 5

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

I can't quite recall the version now, but I recall there being at least one if not some more GM releases for a point release (x.y). Even one that had multiple GMs too. Certainly not something that is common at all, but I recall it happening at some point.

22. mariusignorello macrumors 6502a

Upgrade from Beta to GM or Production release isn't possible because Apple modifies the location of the update server. 9/10 times the GM is the same as Production (correct me if I'm wrong) so I believe they use a specific GM server and specific Production server to push the updates. There are also separate Beta servers, hence the need of the config profile for Public Beta testers.