Beta Baseband issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yoyo5280, May 26, 2010.

  1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

    yoyo5280

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
    #1
    I used to have my iPhone 3G running a (legal) copy of 4.0b1, but because it was so incredibly buggy (that is another story) I went through the difficult process of downgrading the OS.

    Since then my phone has been having SERIOUS reception issues. In areas where other iPhones ARE signal (and quite a lot of it), my phone will say no signal. A restart fixes this for a short amount of time, before the phone starts saying "searching..."

    When I do have signal, I always have less than other iPhones.

    This is fairly annoying because it means I get no signal at most of the places I am at, including my home.

    I think this is because the baseband couldn't be downgraded? I am currently on 05.13.03

    Anybody else heard of this problem?

    -Omi

    P.S. (I am thinking of just taking this to the genius bar and saying I have been having reception issues for a while. My theory is that they won't check the baseband and give me a refurb because my phone is still under warrenty.)
     
  2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

    andybno1

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #2
    not just you I was having issues too, kept losing signal and connection to network.
     
  3. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

    yoyo5280

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
    #3
    Bugger.
    You reckon my scheme to get a replacement will work?
     
  4. rjenovai macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2006
    #4
    You'd be much better off going to 4.0 beta 4 instead of staying on 3.1.3 w/the 4.0 beta 1 baseband. You can try the replacement route, but I'd be surprised if they didn't check the OS version, baseband version, etc...
     
  5. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

    yoyo5280

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
    #5
    I am really worried about going back the beta.
    It was too buggy for daily use, and what pushed me over the edge was that it got stuck in DFU mode if the battery drained to 0%

    That being said its hardly usable now.

    How is beta4?
    Is it worth trying the apple store first? (I am lazy and it seems like a simple way to fix this problem, without fiddling with the phone.)

    Thanks,
    -Omi
     
  6. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
    I was using b3 and b4 for my main iPhone w/o any issues or problems. I'd say go for it, both versions are fairly stable.
     
  7. skball123 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2007
    #7
    First of all, Since you said you have a legal version, you should know the risks you take by installing it on your main phone. Also, I am very very sure that if you take your phone to a genius, they will check the baseband and see the newer version. I am not sure what will occur after they see that, but they will check it.

    Second.... It's always worth trying. If they refuse to change it (which I doubt), then that's it. Nothing else happens to you. You don't get whipped or anything. It's always worth trying. So... GO :D
     
  8. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

    yoyo5280

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
    #8
    I did know the risks. I just didn't know it would suck so badly... and that it would haunt me forever (unless I fuzzyband the phone). However my friend/developing buddy upgraded then downgraded with NO ISSUES on his 3Gs!?

    Oh thank goodness! I was afraid I would be zapped with electrodes resembling earbuds or something.
    :p

    Out of curiosity, why do you think they would check the baseband?

    Fairly as in....
     
  9. wjlafrance macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2009
    Location:
    Madison, WI
    #9
    If you're having trouble with a phone with actual Apple firmware, with an actual developer license, I'd think they'd give you a refurb. Your phone will go back to Apple where it'll probably sit on a shelf until 4.0 goes and then it'll get upgraded for real, stuck in a new shell, and given to someone else as a refurb and nobody will be any wiser.
     
  10. rjenovai macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2006
    #10
    much much better than beta 1
     
  11. skball123 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2007
    #11
    That is the first thing they checked when I said I was having issues. (Aside from the sim cards and whatnot)
     
  12. goldstmarc2 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 23, 2010
    #12
    I would try the latest beta but if possible wait until the new OS is released. It can't be long now.
     
  13. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

    frunkis54

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    #13
    i would try beta 4, since you "legally" had beta 1 installed. I have had all copies of beta's and beta 4 is fine for a daily use phone.
     
  14. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

    yoyo5280

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2007
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
    #14
    Good to hear, I'll try it
    Unfortunate :(. Well I have other issues with the phone so might as well take it in anyways


    Hmmm.. Interesting.
    This is when I come clean(ish).
    My friend and I are splitting the cost of the developer license, though technically it is under his name. I moved away and well... its still under his name. This won't cause any issues will it?

    -Omi
     
  15. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    #15
    Doesnt matter as long as the UDID is registered w/Apple under a valid developer account.
     

Share This Page