Resolved Beta expired, phone refuses to restore

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Sheza, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Sheza, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Hi there,

I know people may do it anyway but please just leave the 'you're an idiot' posts at the door.

iPhone was on Beta 5, UDID registered and all. I'd heard problems with Beta 6 so didn't upgrade when it came out, and then the other day when Apple announced Sept 18th release for the public version of iOS7, I thought why not wait until then.

But I forgot that beta versions expire. This morning my phone was on the 'Activate iPhone' screen and (obviously, because the software had expired) entering details to activate did not work. When I tried to restore in iTunes, it said that Find my iPhone had to be disabled from the iPhone settings menu.

I googled around for a bit and came up with two possible fixes, except they both have issues with them. I'd really like your help to suggest the better option or even a third option.

1) DFU the phone, restore like that. Problem: Read some comments saying it STILL refused to be restored without turning FMiP off.

2) Perform a phone erase from iCloud. Problem: What happens to my iCloud backups (I presume, though only presume, they're kept up?) and would it even work? Some people reported success...

Thanks for your time.

2. pixelwix macrumors member

pixelwix

dfu and retore to gm its gonna ask you to enter your iCloud info before it'll activate. once thats done connect to wifi and restore last backup

3. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

Option 1 will definitely not work, or at least it shouldn't. The whole point of FMiP in iOS 7 is to prevent that kind of thing.

Option 2. I've never tried it myself, however I understand that the iCloud backups are unaffected, i.e. Remote wiping the iPhone will not erase the iCloud backups. Once the wipe is complete you should be able to restore to iOS 7 GM via iTunes and then restore an iCloud backup.

4. pixelwix macrumors member

pixelwix

option 1 does work! it just won't let you activate the device until you enter the last apple id associated with the device. (reason being take for example someone puts a password on their iPhone, they lock themselves out and have never synced with a computer, the iPhone is disabbled and only way to fix is to do a restore. with your logic, they wouldn't be able to because FMiP is enabled.)

I know this works because i've done it myself

5. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

I stand corrected.

6. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

Thanks - that sounds rather straightforward, it's just that I'm worried I'll brick my phone if I put my phone into DFU mode and it still refuses to restore. I've had mixed reports about this!

I understand, though my understanding is that a thief can steal an iPhone and DFU and restore it, but then cannot use it until their iCloud information has been entered. Which to me sounds ideal. If it simply refused to restore, people like me would never be able to use their phones again, surely?

How recently did you do this, may I ask? See below for a comment I saw on an article that makes me paranoid about DFU:

I appreciate your help everyone, I know I'm stupid to have done this.

7. pixelwix macrumors member

pixelwix

i did it tuesday when gm was released.. its not that hard turn the phone off while it connected iTunes. hold the power and home button for 5secs and release the power while holding the home button till iTunes tell your your phone is in recovery mode and needs to be updated. option click restore and select the gm file.

8. DowdyFick macrumors regular

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Which beta, the GM? It's not a beta, it is the release version. It does not expire.

On that note, beta 5/6 both have an expiration date of October 6th, so OP, I'm not sure what happened with your phone, but the beta did not expire.

10. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

Hmm, odd. When I plugged it into iTunes it said that the software had expired. Could it be that I was on beta 4?

EDIT: Well how about that, beta 4 apparently expired today. Wow. And I thought I was on beta 5. Interesting.

11. DowdyFick macrumors regular

I was referring to the actual beta not the GM which I understand is not a beta. Good to know it's not until Oct 6. Perhaps the OP was running an earlier beta that actually did expire?

12. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Now that makes more sense :cool:

13. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

14. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

DFU restore should not have a popup concerning fmip. It bypases the current iboot on the phone and will allow a firmware restore regardless of fmip.

Lots of people confuse recovery and DFU, which are to seperate modes, in recovery iboot on the device is used so a popup might appear.

Once restored use icloud to restore the backup

15. Azy macrumors regular

There is nothing to worry about with Option 1, It's simple.

Step 1. Enter DFU Mode.
    Step 2. Connect to iTunes and hit restore in iTunes, The phone WILL restore fine. There will be NO prompts about find my iPhone, it will just work :)
    Step 3. Phone will be fully restored, you will turn it on as if it were a brand new phone but now it will ask you to enter the Apple ID in order to activate it, do this.
    Step 4. Select "Restore from iCloud backup" (It will still be there)
    Step 5. Enjoy your phone again.

16. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

DFU mode worked, the FMiP pop-up did not display. Restoring to GM, will see how it goes. Thanks again for your help. If you check all of the threads I have created on Macrumours, it's rather upsetting to see that most of them are 'Help me, I'm a noob' or words to that effect.

Appears to be working, good thing I don't really use iTunes for syncing lol.

17. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Don't be hard on yourself. That's what the forums are here for.

18. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Well itunes has its advantages, you'll have a hardcopy of your backup which you can extract data from if all else fails.

19. Sheza thread starter macrumors 68000

Sheza

That's true. Syncing music is always a hassle (and needless for me since I have Spotify) but I get ya, my last iTunes backup was from a rather long time ago.

Phone restored, installing apps as I speak. Thanks again for your help everyone!