iPhone Beta ios7 to full version?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by rtdolfan, Sep 30, 2013.

1. rtdolfan macrumors newbie

Do i need to do anything to get the full version of ios7 if I have been running the beta version for the last few months? I have been getting the updates, but a friend of mine said there is a new update already for the full version and my iPhone 5 says there are no updates. it shows ios 7.0

2. Norouzi macrumors 6502

If you are still running a beta you do need to upgrade to the full version. You have two options:

1. Backup your phone and preform a Restore in iTunes to wipe the phone and upgrade to the latest full iOS version. You can then restore from a local or iCloud backup.

2. I did update from Beta 6 to the Gold Master so I think if you get the IPSW for iOS 7 you can go into iTunes and hold the option key and click update. It should install the full iOS 7 overtop of your current beta without erasing your data. This worked for me on my iPhone 5.

3. james92se macrumors 6502a

Can the restore be performed on the phone rather than through iTunes?

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I kept my GM version which upgraded perfectly to 7.0.2 on iPad 3

5. zxoraz macrumors member

I was running the beta version and encountered the exact same problem as you describe.
    To solve it I simply downloaded the iOS 7 ipsw and pressed shift while clicking on 'check for updates', it worked like a charm.

6. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

No. You needed iTunes to get on the beta track, and you need iTunes to get off of it and back on the release (and subsequent OTA) track.

7. james92se macrumors 6502a

Sorry I should have clarified. I have been/am on the beta track. After the initial beta I have done all beta updates OTA.

So I at this point I have to use stupid iTunes again? What happens if I try to restore on the phone?

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You lost the beta track at some point, then, as the GM came out a week before the public release of iOS 7. That was a download available from the developer portal, just as beta 1 was. You can't update OTA from a beta to the GM/Public Release, you must do it through iTunes on the computer, just as when you first installed beta 1.

There is no Restore on the phone - only Reset All Content and Settings - and nothing will happen except it will delete everything on your phone. You'll still be on the last beta.

You'll need your computer and iTunes to get off of the betas and onto post-release cycle. And you're going to have to do it soon - the beta you're on expires on October 6.

9. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I understood that. You're on the beta track. You needed iTunes to change from the release track to the beta track. And now you need iTunes to change back to the release track. You always need iTunes to "change tracks" so to speak. OTA updates only work on the track you're on, and the beta track is over. And as Tyler23 said, the track runs off the cliff soon.

And that's about as far as I can stretch the metaphor.

10. james92se macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys, that clears it up perfectly.