Beta issues - how does Apple know?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by whiteshadoww, Jul 16, 2013.

1. whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

I was wondering how Apple is made aware of issues with the beta's of their iOS they release?

Is it an automated issue sending crash reports et al? do they have employees reading forums like this? or are developers emailing specific issues to the appropriate Apple employees?

2. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

It's a combination of a lot of things. First and foremost Apple know about the vast majority of the issues, they just haven't had the time to fix them yet. These aren't release candidates, they know that they aren't finished but they are putting them out there anyway so people can get ready.

They also have a bug reporter for the developers but that is only really useful to find bugs in usage cases that aren't taken into account by the apple engineers themselves which is probably a pretty low percentage.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have people looking at the forums but more for feedback and bug reports specifically.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

They guess :rolleyes:

--

But really...

Developers report bugs to Apple at bugreport.apple.com

Additionally, crash and usage reports are sent to Apple automatically if you have your device set to do so (Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage > On).

4. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Last year, when I installed iOS 6 Beta X, I had one issue. Being a developer, I dutifully reported it to apple's bug reporting system. I'm not sure if I dreamed receiving a response or I actually got one... I think I received one...

Anyways, that issue was fixed.

The problem what that I bought a track from my phone on the beta, but it didn't download. I also sent an email to support and I could download it.

it was before iTunes Match, was it for iOS 5 or 6, not sure... (Single father of two... I loose track of trivial things...)

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Most of mine are returned as duplicates, but they say it helps to report every one even if you know they have been reported by others for obvious reasons.

6. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

That might be it... Fuzzy memory... :D

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

It still feels good to be acknowledged :)

8. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Because for those of us that actually bought a dev account, they submit bugs, also Apple has their own testers. We're just kind of the backups in case we find bugs that the testers don't.

9. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & Usage

If you are automatically sending data, they will know.

10. vinitmenon macrumors regular

vinitmenon

i had reported 2 bugs in beta 2 and both were solved in beta 3.. i got a msg from apple asking me to check for those bugs in beta 3...

:)

11. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

Same here, Apple got back to me in a swift manner after beta 3 released asking me if I had the same issues

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Most bugs are reported via accelerometer alerts to Apple's servers. Any time you throw your phone in disgust, a report is automatically made, stamped with the iOS version, and the name of the app that was on the screen at the time of throwing.

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

You are supposed to submit bug reports using your developer account.

14. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

haha nice. If only it worked for PS3's too.