Beta Testers needed for Timing, a new Time Tracking Application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMage, Apr 10, 2011.

1. MrMage, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

MrMage macrumors newbie

Dear MacRumors forum members,

I am Daniel Alm, a Mac and iOS application developer from Germany. I have created Timing, a unique new time tracking application for your Mac. It will automatically track which applications you are using and which documents you are working on. You do not have to start any timers - just focus on working, Timing does all the tracking for you.

To analyze how you spent your time, Timing allows you to filter your activities by date and duration and assign activities to projects.

Here's a screenshot of the main window:

[​IMG]

The application is almost finished, but I'm still looking for beta testers to find any remaining bugs and give me feedback on the user interface and the general usability of the software. If you are interested in trying out the application, please send me an email to beta (insert "at" here) timingapp dot com about your background and how you are going to use the application. Everyone who has actively participated in the beta program will receive a free Mac App Store promo code for the final version.

Best regards

Daniel Alm

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I can give it a try. If you don't mind me asking, what is the use of this app? It looks good but to be honest, I don't think I have much use for it.

3. simsaladimbamba

Ich kann's ja mal probieren.
    I would give it a try, but I would only use it for private matters, as I would like to know how much time I spend in which applications, as I run many at the same time.

4. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I would be willing to take a look.

I am a communication design consultant working in areas of interaction and experience design. My practice covers both design and development, with a specific focus on data visualization.

I currently use On The Job for my time tracking and billing software, which is more project based.

Curious to see how this data is grouped and sorted into usable information...

5. rien333 macrumors regular

Sounds great! I'm willing to participate! :)

I'm a high school student at the moment, in the third year of the Gymnasium(I think you have them in Germany as well) and I'm interested in computers and especially programming. I'm learning python at the moment which goes really well. I'm aiming at being an iOS and OS X developer. I'm also doing a bit of graphical design.
    I'm interested in your application because it will be an extremely handy tool for me. It can help me see how long I need to finish projects , and if I'm making progress. It will also help me with spending my time more efficient , which can sometimes be a bit hard for me.

6. MrMage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your concern! I'd like to send you a link to a beta version of the application, but it seems like I can't send private messages yet (possibly because my post count is too low?). I suggest you send me an email to beta (insert "at here") timingapp dot com, so I can reply to it with a link to the beta.

@Hellhammer: Regarding the intended use of the application, rien333 has pretty much nailed it :)

7. Gaura Mohana macrumors regular

hi
    I'm interested... Emailed you
    btw i'm learning C, and Obj C, and then iOS programming. so hopefully i will be a programmer in the near future

8. MrMage thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your interest! I have sent out information about the beta to everyone who sent me an email. Do you have any findings to share yet?

9. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I would love to test an app like this. I need to use my time more effectively with exams coming up so I wouldn't mind testing for you.

10. atr macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind testing something like this myself, I'm curious which applications I use the most, and being able to track which documents get the most attention would also be very helpful.

But, I keep my most used applications open all the time, I run six spaces and have 4 of them running my most used applications. How would those be tracked? As always running and being used?? Example, I use Daylite... a lot, and it is running in space 1 from the time I get up until the time I go to bed. I use a MBA so I shut it down at night. If this application somehow knows when I am actually using the app and when it is just open in idle, then I'm definately interested.

11. MrMage thread starter macrumors newbie

Timing only tracks the application you are working in right now. As I can't send personal messages, please send me an email to beta (insert "at" here) timingapp dot com.

12. MrMage thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd like to hear your opinion on a specific part of the user interface:

At the moment, the sidebar on the left also contains the date filter bar. In my opinion, it's well placed there, but in general, Mac apps' sidebars only contains lists like the project list below the date picker. So I'm thinking of extending the gradient background of the graph to the very left of the window. I could then place the date picker on that gradient background rather than the blue background it currently sits on, and simply move the project list down a bit.

What do you guys think?

13. atr macrumors regular

I just started trying this out this afternoon so I don't have much data yet that is being displayed in the graph area. So far I am very happy with it, I left it running the past 8 hours and am now spending a little time trying to figure out the settings. Fairly straight forward.

As for your question, I think it would look fine either way. But, give me a little time to build up some data and I may change my mind. If I decide to set up a large number of projects to track, the extra space that would be gained in the graph area would be very useful when in the project display mode. And, when in the timeline mode the extra space would also be beneficial.

On the other hand, by extending the graphing area all the way to the left end kind of takes away from the look of the "standard" Mac sidebar. Guess it comes down to function over form or visa versa.

Once again, without having a lot of data gathered over an extended period of time I am not really sure which way I will prefer, I'm kind of a "visual" person when it comes to these things.... I actually need to see it instead of trying to visualize it. If you have tried it out both ways maybe a screenshot would help..??