Beta testers needed! - Stolen computer recovery service

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chainprayer, Jan 9, 2009.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I am designing a free device recovery service. It tracks devices that become lost or stolen. It is operating system and device independent. Works for all computers, iPod Touches, and iPhones.

PM me if you would like to try it out and help me get the last bit of bugs out!
    :cool:

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ok, give me your computer, and see if you can find me.

3. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well finish up the site so that you can give me your laptop. I'll promise not to delete your family photos, although I may use your sister's photo as my new wallpaper.

Actually, just give it to me now. If you need more time to finish the site, I'll let you borrow it.

5. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

6. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good question.

OP, please tell us more about your site.

8. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I'm curious as to how a free recovery service is going to work. Undercover charges so that they have money to pay people to contact the relevant authorities.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Curious as well.

Finder's fee?

10. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

When registering, you enter your usual home page URL. I then give you a personal URL to set as your home page.

When you load your home page, it first records your current IP address with a timestamp. It then instantly bounces you to your usual home page.

If your computer is lost or stolen, you can track its IP address any time the web browser is launched. Police can then use this IP address to recover your computer (sources coming soon).

For the iPod touch/iPhone, users create a homepage bookmark that incites the person to launch the URL, revealing its current IP address to you.

The site is at http://www.techretriever.com. Still working on the site. I have all the database coding done, but now need to work on page content. Click on Protect My Devices on the menubar then create an account.

Let me know what you think!

11. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will also be upgrading to a paid hosting when I'm ready to launch, so the ads on the top will be removed. I also do not plan to charge for anything.

12. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Make sure you put http:// in your Homepage or it won't work!

And how is the police gonna find a computer with an IP address?
    I had a Site Tracker program once and you could see where a visitor is from by their IP address, but usually it was WAY off of where they are. I looked at my IP on there and it was in the same State, but in a completely different city a hundred miles away!

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Actually, that isn't a bad idea.

How does this differ from lo-jak?

14. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

It's quite an interesting concept, but I think I'd rather use something like Undercover. All it takes is for the thief to change their homepage and it's useless.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Of course it's a great idea. I'm not even going to charge him money to take it.

I'll register later and check it out. I don't really know how it works, but sounds promising, as long as they don't know how to change their homepage, or are too lazy to do so.

16. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

People can also remove any software protection you may install. I'm not saying it's guaranteed, just another aid to use. I think an instant URL redirect is less noticable than a running app.

17. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

This is an interesting concept. Have you thought of creating a background service that sends information back to your database? That way if someone stole the computer and for whatever reason not use the internet browser it would work well for Widows/Macs. As for mobile devices, the url address would work well for them. Just a thought.

As I said its an interesting concept I am curious to see how successful you would get.

18. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is what my original idea was, but I have no app programming skills. If I can get an app to simply load the web page while hidden then quit that would work as well.

Adding the URL to the list of startup items may work too, but may be annoying to some users.

I'm still open to any changes anyone thinks may be useful. Thank you for your support!

19. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Site code should be working now. Anyone else interested in helping me test it out?

20. clancemasterj macrumors regular

clancemasterj

21. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

that is actually my next step.

geekindisguise... i added the http:// by default. thanks!

anyone else have any suggestions? looking for a critical eye!

22. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

I added the trace feature for IP addresses, but I can't find many good sites to do this.

Does anyone know of a really good IP tracer? Many show me the wrong city for my location!

23. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The interesting thing is it being OS and device independent. I have undercover on my MBP, but it is reliant upon the OS and device. So when I do a clean install or upgrade to a newer laptop Undercover is lost until I reinstall and update it.

I'd be really interested to see how this goes, could be really cool.