Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
I'll soon be releasing my first Mac OS X native application, MassReplaceIt. Basically it does a find and replace on either the contents or filenames of a list of files you give it, so that you don't have to open them individually (screenshot below). It will be released as freeware.

I developed the application in Panther, however it should also work in Jaguar, although I'm not entirely sure since I don't have access to a machine with Jaguar installed.

I'm interested in people's feedback on it. In particular, possible interface improvements and bug reports. If anyone tests it in Jaguar, I'd be interested to know if there are any problems with that. Help is available from the Help menu if required.

The beta version is available here (120 KB).

Thanks for you help. :)

Attachments

• mri.jpg
    mri.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 115

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I looked around in the user interface and the help. It looks very good! I remember wanting such a program several times in the past.

I haven't actually tested how it works, yet, but I'll get back to you with more feedback when I have.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Hey Hex, ok bias here as I know HexMonkey, but I've followed the development of this app and it works very well. I'd suggest giving it a try. Like a poster above said, changing "Copywrite" to "Copyright" in a large site 'cos I can't spell is very useful!

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
I've finished a new beta. Changes are:
  • Renamed "Search" button to "Replace" to better reflect its purpose.
  • Now allows blank search text when searching at the beginning or end of a file/filename (provided the replace text isn't blank), to allow you to insert text in the corresponding place.
  • Added help page for above ("Inserting and deleting text")
  • Minor changes to the error message shown when the search text is blank.
Again, feedback is appreciated.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
First impression from use ...

The application seems very mature. The interface worked better than I expected. I was able to drag files to the search list, good, I could double click files to open them from the result sheet after a replace, good.

It seems to do what it promises also, but in my opinion, the default setting is a little dangerous. I would like the confirm changes option on by default. It would be very nice to see the lines that would be affected in the confirm dialog, although I realize that is a lot of work to implement. It would be even nicer to have checkboxes next to the lines for individual confirmation. Also, in my case, since I tested it on code, the default option of case-insensitivity caused me unexpected results. I didn't find an undo option either. For code I wouldn't really use this app, though, since Xcode has its own project search and replace, so maybe others prefer the case-insensitivity by default.

Overall a very good app, but maybe a little dangerous for uneducated users.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
bug report!!!

Two things:

1) Get a warning for Filecontents Replace!!!!

2) Files names with the "-" doesn't work.
I try to replace some names on mp3 files, like:
American beauty - Any other name.mp3
American beauty - Because.mp3
etc..

Try to replace "American beauty - " with <nothing>
"American beauty - " with "AmericanBeauty"

none of them work doesn't work...

I can replace "America beauty" with <nothing>, but
then the filenames start with " - "

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Very neat...yknow that you did a great job when you see this feature in "Spotlight 2.0"

(I DO NOT have information on Spotlight, much less v2, but I have a feeling that we might see this feature in an official, Apple-endorsed, program...i.e. Spotlight)

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
nice work. i tryed another app for this once, and there was just way too much confusion. i love this. especially because it's free ;) :D

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Thanks for the compliments everyone! The application will probably be released within the next few days.

gekko513 said:
It seems to do what it promises also, but in my opinion, the default setting is a little dangerous. I would like the confirm changes option on by default.

That's a good idea, it will be on by default in the next beta.

gekko513 said:
It would be very nice to see the lines that would be affected in the confirm dialog, although I realize that is a lot of work to implement. It would be even nicer to have checkboxes next to the lines for individual confirmation.

An interesting idea, although it would be difficult to implement. I am planning on improving the whole confirmation process in a future version, one major improvement being that the files with changes will be added to a table as they are searched, where you can open them and confirm/cancel changes either individually or for all files, while the application continues searching the other files.

gekko513 said:
Also, in my case, since I tested it on code, the default option of case-insensitivity caused me unexpected results. I didn't find an undo option either. For code I wouldn't really use this app, though, since Xcode has its own project search and replace, so maybe others prefer the case-insensitivity by default.

I think I'll leave the default as it is for now, but thanks for letting me know. As for undo, I don't think I'll ever add that, as I'd probably have to store copies of all the files' original contents in memory.

cluthz said:
1) Get a warning for Filecontents Replace!!!!

There's a "Confirm file changes" option in the preferences. As I said above, it will be on by default in the next beta.

cluthz said:
2) Files names with the "-" doesn't work.
I try to replace some names on mp3 files, like:
American beauty - Any other name.mp3
American beauty - Because.mp3
etc..

Try to replace "American beauty - " with <nothing>
"American beauty - " with "AmericanBeauty"

none of them work doesn't work...

I can replace "America beauty" with <nothing>, but
then the filenames start with " - "

It seems to work as expected for me, for example, with a file called "American beauty - Because.mp3", if I search for "American beauty - " and replace with nothing, the file will be renamed to "Because.mp3". Can you give specific examples of the filenames before and after the search, as well as the search and replace text? Also, information like the OS version you are using would be useful if the problem isn't happening to everyone.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
HexMonkey said:
That explains it. Do you think this option should be off by default or is it OK as it is?

The funny is that i could use "whole word only" with replacing "American beauty" but not replacing "American beauty - " :confused:

But you sould STILL have a warning when you are using it! Especially for Contents...
When you press <Replace> you sould get a message that said: "Are you sure you want to replace all filenames/contents ? This is not undoable !"

I destroyed the album with replacing "American Beauty" in Contents!! :eek:
It couldn't be played afterwards.. (Yeah, I dumplicated the folder containing the files so i didn't have to loose them :) )

For defaults i'm always fan of going the safest route ( safety for the user)
That involves that <Search Filename> <Case sensitive> and <Search whole word> sould be ON..

The program always starts up with the default options...
I have to change from <search contents> to <search filename> everytime i start up the program.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
cluthz said:
But you sould STILL have a warning when you are using it! Especially for Contents...
When you press <Replace> you sould get a message that said: "Are you sure you want to replace all filenames/contents ? This is not undoable !"

I see your point, the problem is trying to get the balance right between preventing data loss and an easy to use interface that doesn't keep interrupting you. I'll put a confirmation in the next beta, which can be turned off via a preference or by selecting a "Do not show again" checkbox on the confirmation.

cluthz said:
For defaults i'm always fan of going the safest route ( safety for the user)
That involves that <Search Filename> <Case sensitive> and <Search whole word> sould be ON..

I'll change those too for the next beta, although I'm not entirely sure about having search filename the default, since searching contents is the main purpose of the application (a filename search could be done with a simple AppleScript for example).

cluthz said:
The program always starts up with the default options...
I have to change from <search contents> to <search filename> everytime i start up the program.

The way you can solve this is to set up the options you want, save them as a query, and then choose that query as the default query in the preferences. However I just realised that there's a major bug that prevents you from saving a query if you haven't saved one before, something I didn't realise until now since I haven't deleted my preferences file in so long and have had queries saved since very early builds. I'll fix this in the next beta.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
I've just finished MassReplaceIt 1.0b4. Changes include:

• Changed default options. Case sensitive and confirm file changes are both now on by default, and search filenames is now the default instead of search contents.
  • Added confirmation before search begins that can be turned off via a checkbox on the confirmation or in the preferences.
  • Replace button is no longer the default to prevent accidentally starting a search by hitting the return key.
  • Fixed major bug that preventing adding a query if none had been added before.
The new beta is available here.

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
I've just released MassReplaceIt 1.0, available from my website. It has no significant changes from 1.0b4, just a link to my website in the help and a new license agreement since it's no longer beta software. Again, thanks for the help everyone. Of course if you have any more feedback or find any bugs, feel free to let me know.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
HexMonkey said:
I've just released MassReplaceIt 1.0, available from my website. It has no significant changes from 1.0b4, just a link to my website in the help and a new license agreement since it's no longer beta software. Again, thanks for the help everyone. Of course if you have any more feedback or find any bugs, feel free to let me know.

Congratulations! I like it and haven't found any bugs so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.