Beta to final - daily hardware

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by roland.g, Jun 15, 2013.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I registered as an Apple developer 2 years ago but I believe I have since let me developer account lapse (good for 1 year if I am correct). Unfortunately time constraints in my life and needing to learn too much at the time precluded me from investing the time and energy to learn and work on iOS software.

I was considering renewing it so that I could have access to the betas. And because the new iOS has sparked renewed interest for me in where I could take my ideas.

I was wondering a couple things:

1. I thought I read that transitioning from the beta to the final is tough. Is this true? Do you have to do a restore back to 6 and then upgrade normally or something like that?

2. Is it a bad idea to run it on your daily driver. If I use my iPhone 5 as my main phone, will I run into more bugs and issues than it is worth running 7 betas on something I rely on?

Thanks.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I think in all the past updates from beta to GM the developer had to download the file then install it. You couldn't update it. I don't think.

As far as using on your daily phone. It's your decision. The early betas do have some drawbacks but as it gets closer to final release it becomes more stable and thusly easier to use on a daily basis.

Also if you want to renew your dev license you will have to start from scratch. After the year passes by and you don't renew you can't simply renew it.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

Nope. You can update to it straight from iOS 6. Shift (option) + update (or restore) in iTunes.

For most people it seems to be running pretty stable for a beta 1. Battery is a little iffy though. YMMV depending on your device and what you do. I've been running it daily since Monday after the keynote and I haven't had anything too bad happen, just some minor bugs here and there.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

There is an extensive bugs thread. I suggest you read it.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Under accessibility toggle Reduce Motion and under Background Apps turn that off. I'm seeing full day battery life now.

6. Campbellot macrumors member

Campbellot

Was this with a complete and clean install?

7. martinocando macrumors regular

martinocando

This doesn't make any sense. I keep reading about clean installs! There is no such thing as a "dirty" install with iOS. To go to iOS7 you must flash the OS to the device, and restore your data from a recent backup. There is no way to "upgrade" to iOS7 a-la-windows. Please explain what you mean, I'm lost.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Apple doesn't officially admit it, but it is possible to update to iOS 7 rather than doing a restore. I did it myself, and there are other people who have done this.

Also, if you restore your data from a recent backup, then that's not a clean install. Data backups can contain problems that affect the functioning of the system. A clean install is restore + set up as new.

9. martinocando macrumors regular

martinocando

Got it. Now, how can I do a clean install and not use another Apple Id? Once I enter my apple Id all data is restored from iCloud and apps begin downloading.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Yes, I placed the phone in DFU mode and restored as new.

Without changing any settings, I got 4.5 to 5.5 hours usage. Standby was 13 to 14 hours.

Changing those two items and going to static wallpaper resulted in 7 hours and 22 hours.

----------

You do not restore from iCloud backup. Just sign-in during 'Setup as new iPhone'.

11. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I am surprised as a previous developer you don't know more about this. I think you are just a guy looking to put ios 7 on his device and are just a little bit scared of doing so. Be honest kid.

12. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

13. martinocando macrumors regular

martinocando

Sorry, I realized the quote was for the OP and not for me.

----------

But restoring the data doesn't restore the apps, if you do it from an iCloud backup, right? The apps download new from the App store. Just the data from the apps is what is restored.

If you do it from iTunes, the apps are copied from your Mac to the iphone, and I understand that could be problematic.

Forgive my ignorance, I'm just a new developer trying to understand Xcode, and trying to find a way of having iOS7 back in my device, but make the apps I use on a daily basis to be more stable or usable.

14. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Like I said I was a registered dev at some point looking to get into it with quite a bit of computer and some programming experience but none for iOS. I did start working on some ideas with the SDK. However it was short lived as other things came up.

However, as a father of two over the age of 40, you're the kid, so be honest when you don't know what you are talking about and don't go making assumptions.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's not the apps and app data that are problematic. An iOS device backup, whether it is from iCloud or on your computer, contains system settings as well as app data. It's the system settings that can potentially cause problems when you restore them from backup, especially if you have settings from older iOS versions that may no longer apply to newer versions, etc.

You are right that when you restore from iCloud, apps download from the cloud, and when you restore on your computer, they copy from the computer. But the only difference that makes is that copying from your computer is faster.

16. martinocando macrumors regular

martinocando

Understood. Thanks for the help. I might give iOS7 a second try.