Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Without fail, after each beta, I turn off beta updates and tell myself I'm staying on the production version. Then there is some new "must-have feature in the betas that tempts me back onto the beta-train.

Well, this time it is Offline maps. I'm about to go on a trip to Iceland in a few days, and in looking for my rented house locations in Google maps, I realized that some of the addresses don't resolve there, whereas Apple maps finds them easily.

I use Google FI, so I'll have unlimited high-speed data while in Iceland, but I'm still worried about cellular dead zones and navigation. I'm thinking of updating to iOS17 beta just for the offline maps.

Is this advisable? How stable have you found iOS17? Would you trust it for a trip where your phone is your only computing device?

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Personally, I wouldn't upgrade right before a vacation, especially when you wouldn't have a way to rollback if needed. I'd hate to spend my vacation with a broken phone or troubleshooting issues, all for a "just in case I need it" feature.

You could pin the correct locations in Google Maps and get directions to those if needed. Have you checked out Waze to see if that might work too? Not sure if the addresses would be correct there or not, considering it's owned by Google.

mecoolai

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
Here is what I have used for offline maps, I agree with iStorm in terms of possibly having issues on a beta overseas on vacation.

1.) Google Maps

2.) Maps.me; I used this in France awhile ago, I believe you can download by specific countries. I think the offline maps are more detailed than google maps but they are much larger downloads so do that before you leave over wifi

Note: Be aware this is more for navigation (via car or bus). I'm not sure if these are meant for items like hiking/biking so I probably would search specific apps that tailor to that...

Reactions: BigMcGuire

notgonna

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2018
HERE wego maps for offline, too.

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
I would suggest downloading Here maps like suggested above. iOS 17 right now is a mess especially if you decide to downgrade to iOS 16 for whatever reason and choose to get back to iOS 17 beta.
I had to get back on 17 beta to avoid losing a week’s worth of Apple Watch data and now I’m experiencing all kinds of issues that weren’t there when I first got on the beta cycle. Tesla app keeps crapping out, the entire wallpaper went blank, no widgets on Lock Screen etc. I’d suggest staying on 16 until at least beta 4.

JCsHands2

macrumors member
May 2, 2013
I had the same thoughts when I went to Ireland the week after WWDC. I ended up not upgrading to IOS 17 because I didn't want to worry about my phone while on vacation. I did buy a data only eSim and downloaded Google Maps for the one location that Apple Maps couldn't find. I bought 5 GBs for 2 weeks and used about 3.5 GBs of it.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Is this advisable? How stable have you found iOS17? Would you trust it for a trip where your phone is your only computing device?

While I would never recommend someone install a beta on their only computing device for an important trip, I will say that iOS17 has been pretty good. It definitely has a few quirks here and there, but the overwhelming majority of them are goofy cosmetic things that have zero real impact on my workflow and nothing that would prevent me from getting done what I need/want to get done.

The worst thing that I run into is that sometimes the text input area of the keyboard disappears (couple/few times a day). Generally, fiddling with things a bit gets it to come back pretty quick (scrolling the content up then down, etc). I've never had to reboot the phone to fix it or anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets fixed in the next update (probably this week); we'll see.

So, while I wouldn't typically recommend a beta OS on your daily driver, if there is compelling functionality in there (e.g., offline maps) *I* would do it.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
It’s not worth it. Download offline maps in Google Maps and that will do the same thing. Most of the new OS is currently unfinished. It’s like moving into an unfinished house - it’s technically feasible, but would you really be comfortable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.