Betamax to dv into imovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by darinS, Nov 14, 2008.

1. darinS macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I have a question and really need some help here. Im running a new iMac with OSX v. 10.5.5. I have been using a pinnacle systems movie box dv for about 5+ years or so. And I've been able to take home movies from VHS through the box into imovie and do my editing there. (I dont run any pinnacle software). Recently I broke out my old Betamax to make old family movies for gifts. I cannot capture them into imovie. I have the blue window in imovie telling me that the camera is connected but it does not play through or import the image. My questions are, can the dv box wear out? if so what do you recommend, I saw a converter for mac that will pull it right into itunes, I dont want that, I would like to convert a higher res image and pull it into imovie.
    Also, has anyone ever converted from older video players (like betamax). I would assume it would be no different than pulling from a vhs player, I could be wrong.
    Please help me with this issue, Im really at a loss here.
    Thanks

2. lost_mobius macrumors newbie

Capture

Yes I capture Betamax to dv in imovie and through quicktime at my job. First check all your cables, make sure they are snug on both ends. Otherwise all hardware can go bad, it just depends. I would recommend canopus capture devices if your willing to spend a little. Otherwise go with the el gato 250 I think, more features for the money than the others. Also try the pinnacle on another computer or use a vcr and see if it still works, could be your Betamax, they are getting a little old, and most people never cleaned them or serviced them.

3. darinS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for responding. Its good to hear Beta is possible to capture (alot of old memories are on these tapes). SO I appreciate it, I'll give one of those products a try.
    Thanks again!

4. lost_mobius macrumors newbie

No problem just pm if you have any other problems, i could capture for you if your machine is gone, it seems very common these days. I can get you a deal if u need it. Our betamax always seems to break and need repair that is why we end up with so much work I think. Betamax is nothing compared to umatic or reel to reel video. Hope u get everything figured out. :D

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Betacam, the professional variant, is still in use in many places and I believe betacam decks can play Betamax tapes. So if you have a whole bunch of Betamax and happen to live near a university or local news station, you might want to look in to using/renting their facilities because you will get much better results with the better equipment.

6. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Betacam machines can record on Betamax tapes and vice versa, but a Betacam machine will not read a tape recorded in a Betamax machine, or vice versa. Hence, this isn't going to be a solution - sorry!

Andrew.