Bethesda: Fallout 76 Coming

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm loving that game, its solid, bug free so far, everything that you'd want from the original makers of Fallout.
Just curious, are you playing it on PC or console?

I am debating on buying it for full price or trying it out with the introductory one month trial of Microsofts game pass on PC.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm really liking Division 2 as a post-apocalyptic, open-world, MMO. It's everything I wanted FO76 to be (other than not being set in the Fallout universe of course).

Being set in D.C., it actually brings similar immersion that FO3 did. The interiors of buildings are richly detailed--walk through any of the museums and you can actually learn stuff.

The graphics are fantastic, the bugs are minimal, the story is adequate (not as good as FO), and content is being updated from time to time. Gunplay is good, as is customization. There is decent end-game gameplay via raids, replaying scenarios, ongoing battles for territory, occasional new content, and of course the staple of any MMO--grinding loot to make optimized, specific builds.

There are plenty of human NPCs to interact with. ;)

The game does have microtransactions, but they are for cosmetics only. I feel that this is the microtransaction model "done right". (A) It provides ongoing revenue for the developer, and (B) those of us who don't partake in it don't get left behind, because it's not "pay-to-win".

Last edited:
Reactions: Painter2002

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
That’s what I was planning on getting it for, I have a hard time playing on PS4 anymore because I am spoiled with the better graphics and frame rates on PC. Lol.
Its a great game, but at times, the information being displayed on my TV is a mite small, I struggle to read it, from my recliner. I think visually and interaction wise the PC would be better. If there's a black friday sale on this, I may get the PC version

Reactions: Painter2002

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Back on topic, the criticism for Fallout First is reaching epic heights, yet it seems popular. I can't recall where I saw some reports but I came across a blurb where Bethesda was quite happy with the activations, in fact it exceeded their expectations.

My point is that there is a very toxic Fallout 76 culture online, but there seems to be a very dedicated core fan base, and they're willing to pay. I was debating whether I wanted to uninstall the game, or fire it up and see how things are - but so far I'm happy with Outer Worlds.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Looks like Bethesda has a MAJOR vulnerability to plug - at least on the PC side of things

This hack allows you to steal a player's entire inventory without even talking/trading. All that needs to happen is that the other person sees you and then invoke this hack and poof everything you're carrying is gone.

It looks like Bethesda has (or will shortly) plug this hole, but based on the video a large amount of players lost everything. This only affects PC players not console, but since this thread was fairly active I posted here.