Better alternative to iTivo???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sfscott, Jul 29, 2012.

1. sfscott macrumors member

After using iTivo for a while, I am starting to get errors in logging in, and even with a good Mac, the download/encode process takes f o r e v e r.

Anyone have any alternatives? Just want to take shows off of my TiVo and move them to an iPad.

2. krfreers macrumors newbie

Sfscott,

I was going to post the same question today because I installed Mountain Lion over the weekend and now iTivo won't work at all. I run out of room on my TiVo hard drive and I just want a way to be able to store a show on a hard drive I have connected to my Mac and then watch t using Appletv. Toast reduces the quality down so it's not an option.

Thanks!

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

4. TyroneShoes2 macrumors regular

This is not a great solution (slow, expensive, and clunky) but if you have (or are considering moving to) DirecTV and their DVR you should check out the Nomad. You move shows to it, and it moves them to the iPad or iPhone.

My best guess is that there is some bit-rate lowering (read: secondary compression) done for portability (the programs on a DirecTV DVR are MPEG-4 AVC at about 7.5 GB per hour) which is why it is not all that fast, but I think the quality is at NetFlix level once on the iPad. Since it includes a hardware transcoder it should be faster than doing that in software. In iOS 6, new iPads (maybe even iPad 2's ?) can AirPlay out.