Better back up options?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jprint714, Dec 15, 2011.

1. jprint714 macrumors member

I'm trying to improve my overall back up system, and could really use some advice...

-I've happily used TimeMachine, but I've been told that I should supplement it by backing up with Carbon Copy Cloner and/or SuperDuper. Are there any benefits to using these app's that TimeMachine doesn't provide? If so, what are they?

-If it's NOT advisable use Carbon Copy Cloner and/or SuperDuper, should I use another app for further back ups?

-I do a lot of sensitive work that requires serious privacy and protection. I'd like to back up using some kind of online service, but only if it could be seriously protected / encrypted. I know iDisk is available, but have also been told that I can use DropBox with some encryption / protection services that would make backing up files on a remote server ultra protected. So, what's the most recommendable route?

-I store a lot of media on external hard drives, and would like to make back ups of those drives. What's the best software to use for scheduled, incremental back ups for external HD to external HD file back ups?

Thanks, guys!

2. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Lengthy post of what you are doing now but you don't say what it is you want to improve.

So I'll just ask... what is it you need that Time Machine isn't already providing? (As far a backups go). I don't know what "further" backups means. If one extra copy of every file on your mac isn't enough (Time Machine) then yes, there are other options.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use TM sending my back up to my NAS.

I also use Carbon Copy Cloner on an external drive that I take offsite.

In essence I use both TM and CCC to provide a well rounded back up strategy.

4. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

maflynn's approach works well for many of our businesses that don't want to trust an online service.

That being said, the major drawback is someone has to physically remove the drive from the site. This is subject to human error.

To answer your questions:

>>Are there any benefits to using these app's that TimeMachine doesn't provide?

For a basic setup, not really. TM is a little persistent with their one-hour schedule, but this can be moderated with TM-scheduler and others.

I prefer SuperDuper! for it's awesome scripting capabilities. For instance, I run Parallells with multiple VM's. When SD! runs it has a script that carefully suspends all VM's, includes those VM's in the backup set, and upon completion relaunches all the VM's and optionally puts the computer to sleep.

So I think it is more powerful, but it depends on your situation.

>>should I use another app for further back ups?

You will read a ton of responses by users who use an off-site service like CrashPlan or BackBlaze or Mozy.

I use BackBlaze to backup JUST MY FILES in an automated manner.

So in the event of a major crash I would first restore my system from SuperDuper! and if there were any discrepancies in files (i.e., only the files that were worked on that day that had not yet made it into the nightly backup) then I would head to BB and grab my files from their fairly simple interface.

>>What's the best software to use for scheduled, incremental back ups for external HD to external HD file back ups?

If the drives are connected via USB or FW, then BackBlaze can back them up.

Or if you just want to sync them, ChronoSync is a popular utility.

http://econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_overview.html

Hope this helps!