better bargain?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by astudentis, Nov 27, 2007.

1. astudentis macrumors regular

Apple MB Pro
    * 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 1440 x 900 resolution
    * 2GB memory
    * 160GB hard drive 5400 rpm
    * 8x double-layer SuperDrive
    * NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM
    $$2499

Dell XPS m1530

* Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7700 (2.4GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache
    * 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800) & 2.0 MP Camera
    * 3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
    * 120GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
    * 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS
    * Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
    * 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    * TV Tuner Card, Combo Analog/Digital External USB
    $$1811

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

What is the point of this thread?
    The MBP has a better screen, better video card, bigger hard drive and OSX. That is worth the price difference to me right there.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your best bet is buy the computer to which you can afford. This price per BS is exactly that, BS. Think about it. What is the price you put on usability, security, and design? If you can quantify that on a personal/consumer level then your best bet is to go with the one that has a lower price. However for me I simply find security and usability to be virtually priceless on a consumer level. Design is only priced to the point where I decide if the design of something would ultimately affect the value of the asset or the function of such device.

In other words, this thread is pointless but I get to use the word asset which makes me happy.

In the future when you decide to list specs of two machines and ask which is the better bargain it may behoove you to go item for item. Arbitrarily listing specs of one and then a set of near-different specs of the other doesn't so much by way of comparison. Not to mention asking a bunch of mac fan boys and girls or just mac users in general if a Dell is a better model is like shopping for a Ford Truck at the Chevy dealer. The Chevy dealer will without a doubt give you 100 reasons why not to buy a Ford. They ultimately fail to mention both trucks are nearly identical.