better choice for future (Windows)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Muncher, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I know this question is asked at least once per day, but mine is ever so slightly different: which version of windows is better (gaming) for a few years from now (XP or Vista)?

I just want to know where you think video drivers will be in a few years. Wil the Vista drivers be better than xp? I know they aren't now, but I don't have the money to buy another copy of windows a year and a half from now. As of right now I'm leaning towards vista, but I'm really open to any suggestions right now.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I would get XP, considering that absolutely no one I know likes Vista and has downgraded to XP.

Windows is good about supporting older versions, as well. (And XP is not "old" by Windows standards)

3. Muncher thread starter macrumors 65816

Muncher

I can stand a little of Vista's nonsense so I can play my favorite games, and gaming is all I'll be doing with it. But if xp really will be better 2 years from now, okay.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

It happens slowly, but regardless of early issues, all Windows development, including games, is going to move towards Vista.

That being said, I'm a much bigger fan of XP. You will have at least 2 good years left of it before lots of stuff starts becoming Vista only. And remember that you'll be able to get an upgrade price on Vista too (so you're really only paying for, oh 1.5 versions of Windows :rolleyes:)