Better Communication Please

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Felasco, May 27, 2014.

1. Felasco Guest

When the mods find it necessary to close threads, especially threads with no personal controversies or other obvious problems, it would be helpful for all if the mod would close the thread with a post explaining the closure.

This would save the mods time in the long run, as members would come to better understand what's not going to be accepted, leading to fewer threads that require closing.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Threads that are locked typically do get a mod note that states the reason for closing. Threads sent to the wasteland don't because most of the time its fairly evident why it was being wastelanded.

In either case, if you had or have questions on such actions, you can use the contact us link to get an explanation.

3. Felasco thread starter Guest

Two of my threads were recently sent to the wasteland.

In one case I understood, as the thread was little more than quips. I fault myself in this case for not giving other posters enough to work with. My opening post was too brief, and assumed more than it should have. So I tried again...

In the second thread, I really have no idea why the thread was closed. There was no personal acrimony underway, and posters seemed to be making a good faith effort to add relevant content.

When I did just that, I received a reply instructing me to do that.

I'm attempting to understand whether discussion of the kind of big ideas that propelled Steve Jobs to create Apple are welcome here.

If yes, please say so, and stop wastelanding attempts to expand community discussion beyond gadgetry consumerism.

If no, ok no problem, just say so, and I'll tip my hat and be on my way to other venues more appropriate for the bigger picture topics that most interest me.

You've seen enough of my posts now to know what to expect. If you want more of the same, tell me to continue. If you don't want more, just hit the ban button with my blessing and we can all move on, no problem. Either option is ok with me.

Please don't reply with a request that I write to order for free. If I'm going to add content to your site instead of mine, it either has to be fun, or I need a paycheck.

Thanks for listening.

4. Felasco thread starter Guest

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

It could have something to do with the fact that you continuously reply to your threads in quick succession.

6. maflynn, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

It's important to remember that when a thread is closed but left in a forum, the violations will mostly have been removed. So you won't see the problems (which are all violations of forum rules, so none are secret - the rules are there for everyone to read). Mod notes generally explain, but the reason is always based in the rules.

It's also important to remember that we do not like closing threads or limiting discussion. So if a thread was closed, there was a reason.

The advice given otherwise in this thread is correct - the way to ask about specific moderation done to you is via the Contact Us form.

8. Felasco thread starter Guest

I thought I should publicly report that I did receive a reply through the support system. Thanks for that.

While I didn't especially agree with the reasons stated, it was a helpful reply in that it has helped me see it would probably be most constructive for me to explore the philosophical side of the Apple experience in other venues better suited to such a discussion.

I'm fine with that, and will hereafter limit my use of MacRumors to technical questions and answers, which appears to be it's intended purpose.

I still stand by my sig, just more quietly than before. :)