Better EDGE reception after 2.0.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pj rage, Aug 19, 2008.

1. pj rage macrumors 6502

Anyone else notice this? The last few miles into work have been a "no service" area since I got the phone. Occasionally they would grab 1 bar for a couple seconds, but I could never do anything with it (ie talk or download email, whatever). Today, however, I had 1 bar for 80% of the previously dead area and even had 2 bars for a bit. Moreover, I was able to download an app and check email! Something that I've NEVER been able to do with 1 bar on edge if moving in a car. I guess it could be a coincidence, but I was impressed.

Now if only my 3g wasn't worse, lol. It's doing the intermittent-not-working-at-all-but-works-after-reset thing that it seems others have too. Previously no problems with it at all ever.

2. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

In...Your....HEAD. THe update did nothing to the reception....

3. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I still have no service, to 1 bar with around 36kbps at my house. But I blame that more on terrain and distance from any tower, as even my Verizon phone gets 0- 1 bars inside

4. gowanis macrumors 6502

i thought EDGE referred to DATA and not your voice signal (bars).

In Jersey City, NJ I have 5 bars, can make calls no problem, but barely have any data connectivity.

Can someone clarify ?

5. jonnyb macrumors 6502a

I've noticed my EDGE reception is now a steady two bars in a previously horrible blackspot in my workplace - my desk

6. pj rage thread starter macrumors 6502

It's absolutely not in my HEAD. I did admit that it could be a coincidence, but it's not in my HEAD. I'm not imagining that I have bars where I never have before, I'm reporting that as a fact, because it is. Maybe AT&T did something on their end, or maybe it's just the right temp, humidity, etc to receive the signal where I didn't before, but it is definitely improved. Considering over the course of 5+ weeks I have never had signal in these areas, I update last night and today I do, I find it interesting, though. And unless jonnyb is pulling our legs, I guess I'm not he only one. It could still be a coincidence, but unless you have proof that "the update did nothing to the reception" we can still hypothesize that it may be playing a role here.