Better Keyboards Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chemlaw, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Chemlaw macrumors newbie

Current standard keyboards have two ergonomic flaws.

The rumored new Mac keyboard, like current Mac keyboards, follows the bad design introduced with the original IBM PC keyboard. By attaching the number-pad and the movement keys on the right, you force the mouse an extra six inches out to the right for right hand mouse users. (This is probably the only time lefties get it better than the majority. ;))

If you look at any good guide on ergonomics, you will see that you should have your mouse immediately to the right of the keyboard; just to the right of where you right hand is when it is on the home row of keys. The further out you move, the more stress you will end up putting on your right arm. :(

The original Macintosh keyboard, developed when Jobs and the crew were under wraps had it better. The number pad was available as a separate keypad, that plugged into the keyboard. It could be positioned for use as a numeric keypad when needed, or pushed out of the way when it wasn't.

The second flaw with the rumored keyboard, and all other standard keyboards in the fact that they are flat. If you rest your hands on a desk in front of you, you will find that it is more comfortable to have your palms closer to vertical :) than it is to have them flat.

I know that ergonomic keyboards are available, but most are pretty expensive. It would be nice if Apple would lead the way to making an adjustable ergonomic keyboard standard, or at least as an inexpensive ($<50) upgrade.

Just my 2 cents worth.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i actually really like the macbook keyboard, and i'm really hoping the rumored keyboard turns out to be true. regarding ergonomics, though, apple did dabble with their adjustable keyboard from the 90s. apple was one of the first, if not the first, companies to come out with a splitting keyboard. it didn't sell very well (though i owned one :eek:), and apple hasn't gone there since.

[​IMG]

3. bartelby macrumors Core

I so wanted one one of those when I got my 7500. I couldn't justify the £150 or whatever stupid amount of money they were...