Better math based on pic...new MBP is 16:9 (puke)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by makowb, Oct 9, 2008.

1. makowb macrumors member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6372524&postcount=36

There are multiple things wrong with the way he measured and the biggest one imo being that he mistook the tab key for the caps lock key.

Me being horrified by apple going 16:9 made me decide to prove it to myself, especially since by looking at the speaker grill on the new pic vs the old macbook pro...it looks the same size.

With other arguments I have seen they have mistaken the 15.4 inch screen to be horizontal rather than diagonal. This also requires more complicated math that people always seem to ef up. For this I have just decided to do without bezel and screen sizes and go with the bottom casing.

Width of 16x9 16" vaio: 15.1
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...Id=8198552921644570896&parentCategoryId=16154
    Width of 15.4" MBP: 14.1
    Width of 17" MBP: 15.4
    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

Okay, so we've established widths of laptop screen sizes. And for those sticklers out there, the bezels around the screen seem very similar in width.

Next we take a look at the air keyboard. Now this is assuming that the "spy pic" is using the exact same keyboard specs so apple can save money on manufacturing.

Using this pic:

[​IMG]

There are 670 pixels for the width of the entire bottom which is supposedly 12.8 inches according to Apple.
    http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

670/12.8 = 52.34 pixels/inch
    Tab key = 54 pixels or 1.03 inches.
    [​IMG]
    Keyboard width = 594 pixels or 11.35 inches.
    [​IMG]

Now looking at his picture it's safe to assume that there is room for at least 1.5-1.75 "tab key lengths" from the indent of the keyboard to the edge of the casing. We'll go with both to make a case.
    [​IMG]

1.5 x 1.03 = 1.55 inches.
    1.55 x 2 + 11.35 = 14.45

1.75 x 1.03 = 1.8 inches on either side of the keyboard.
    1.8 x 2 + 11.35 = 14.95

So assuming that 14.45 inches is nowhere near any laptop dimensions out there right now and 14.95 is...if this shot is real then we're getting a stupid 16x9 laptop. Basically I just proved what I was trying to disprove ><. Now I'm going to have to sell my Timbuk2 bag so I can fit this stupid freakin laptop, I seriously hate apple for this.

I've asked this guy to try and get the length from the indent to the edge of the casing but this seems pretty close enough.

And just to throw something out there...there is no saying apple won't put silver chiclet keys into the MBP, there's white in the macbook, maybe they won't have the lines be completely uniform so there is at least some way to tell them apart.

The biggest argument I Have seen against the 16x9 so far is that they may not have LED backlit screens for that res yet, if this is true then I agree that apple may not be willing to ditch the power savings or uniform brightness for this res.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Nice… (calculation-wise)

Yuck and thank goodness I have my current MBP if it's true.

3. SammyDFG macrumors member

I'm praying its 16:9 so I can get a 18.4" screen !!!

4. jmnikricket macrumors member

You are basically assuming that Apple is not going to use dimensions different from existing laptops to "prove" that the new MacBooks are going to have similar dimensions to existing laptops. In other words, you are assuming what you are trying to prove.

You have a very good approximation of the width, but absolutely no information on the height. Given only one dimension, Apple could still make any screen ratio they want. And with all the hype of this new manufacturing process, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see some new, less-conventional dimensions, especially given the new trackpad.

Not that I'm saying you're wrong, it's just you don't supply enough information to definitively be right ;)

5. MVApple macrumors 6502a

+1

I do have to add though that manaufacturers are starting to switch to a 16:9 ratio to save money. Sony has some 16:9 led screens already as well, and just because a screen doesn't exist is a poor reason to believe Apple won't be the first to use it.

Also, if the Apple rumors that they are lowering notebook price points is to be believed, then it would make perfect sense for them to use 16:9 screens. Don't blame Apple, every manufacturer is heading this way. If you want to blame someone, blame televisions because they are leading the 16:9 ratio and they also take up all the nice IPS screens.