Better, more efficient way of Organizing Apps!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shanshor, Dec 15, 2008.

1. shanshor macrumors regular

Please! Help! Is there some desktop software that lets you do this, without the need of jailbreaking it? Sorting through 9 pages of apps, and trying to move multiple apps from page 9 to page 1 is a real pain in the a**. Especially when you mess up and the last app on every page is moved to the next one.

the app iSign (which is really good for those of you wanting to learn sign language) got deleted this way because the 9th page was full and it got bumped out.

So is there any more effiecient way to do this? Either on the iPod or on my Mac?

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

without jailbreaking, no

with jailbreaking, categories is GREAT. I have at least 45 apps sorted into four folders.:D

3. cazlar macrumors 6502

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I was under the impression that the 9 page limit is simply a "display" limit. So your iSign app isn't deleted, just unreachable. If you were jailbroken, you could still launch it though through some other method (Dock, mobilefinder, etc).

If you delete enough apps to clear up a whole page, it should re-appear though I would have thought?

But as for you original question, no, but I agree there should be some way to do that. Personally, I try to keep it all on 4-5 pages, but even then it can be a pain to re-organise.

4. phrede macrumors newbie

As far as moving apps from page to page I found this works quite well.

I leave the bottom "task bar" (where there are normally four Itunes apps partially empty with only (3) icons. When I want to move an app from page to page, I simply drag it "down" to that area, then go to the page that I want it to be located, and drag it "up" onto that page. It has saved me considerable aggravation.

Phrede

5. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

The easiest way would be not to have so many Apps installed. Do you really need all those Apps?

6. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I do that too! I just permanently located the Photos icon to the main apps page. I got the idea from the same way I move headers from page-to-page on our database at work.

It works like s breeze. Try it folks. It's not perfect but it's MUCH easier than what you all describe. (which I tried to "feel your pain")

Mike

7. M1thousand macrumors newbie

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but I move all four of the icons so there are 4 spaces to work with

PS :
    200,000 apps and there are no apps to organise your apps. Thats pretty dumb.
    And no, I dont want to jailbreak my Touch

8. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

You just bumped a thread from 2008; iOS 4 lets you have folders.

9. M1thousand macrumors newbie

It may have folders now but if you have 100's of apps as people may do, the option to move those docked apps (safari, email, music, video) is very helpful.

I thought it was worth a bump for people like me who are new to Touch

10. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah, ok =p