Better MSN for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by roadbloc, Sep 24, 2009.

1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I know this has probably been said before, but the MSN for mac provided by m$ (i think) sucks. Big time. It supports nothing.

I'm personally not keen on running anything but the 'official app' for something, or in other words, i don't like the idea of using alternatives. I will if it must be obviously, but I will try an stay clear of aMSN or Audium.

I was wondering if ichat could be somehow made to be MSN compatible???

2. dws90 macrumors regular

I don't understand your post. You only want to use the official app, but at the same time you're looking for alternatives? If you want an official app, use the Microsoft one. If you want something that actually works well, don't use the official one.

I highly recommend Adium. I've been using it for several years, and I've had no problems whatsoever. It's free, it can handle pretty much any IM service out there, and it integrates wonderfully in with the rest of the OS. I'm not sure why you're trying to steer clear of it - it's the perfect solution for your problem and easily one of the best Mac applications available.

3. dubcat macrumors newbie

Can adium (or any other mac client) do voice and video conversations with MSN messenger?

4. turkay macrumors regular

turkay

Yes, it is possile, I did it before. But don't ask how to cause it was a nightmare setting up a jabber account bla bla bla.. Believe me, it does not worth that.

I prefer the windows client through VMWare if i'm gonna do a a/v chat.
    Mostly using Adium though.

Good luck on this..

5. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

6. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

The official MSN Messenger for Mac doesn't even support video chat unless you're connecting to an Office Communications Server '07. Adium doesn't officially do video/voice natively. Last I remember seeing, it was "coming".

7. bobby680 macrumors newbie

msn

hallo i have messenger 7.0.2 and from yesterday its not giving alerts when somebody comes online and the buddy doll became blue instead of green. can any one hlp me pls why it happened ?

8. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Adium is by far the worst alternative to MSN. It handles nothing properly; emoticons are a mess, some show, some dont, adding your own is a pain in the ass, avatars arent displayed immediately or not at all, status name doesnt always appear on your friends list, file transfers are limited to about 3.5kbps and with that said i doubt it would handle video chat seeing how the transfer speed is such a joke.

I only use aMSN, as much as I don't like the UI, it still WORKS.

9. 7031 macrumors 6502

1. Emoticons just annoy me more than anything. Disable them.
    2. I agree with the avatars issue, but it's not a major problem.
    3. No idea about the statuses, I don't use them.
    4. Not sure about this one. I'm pretty sure the transfers work fine for me, but I can't be bothered to test.

That, and to be honest I can't really see why you would prefer aMSN, because as I remember, it is pretty buggy and I quite like how with Adium I can have multiple accounts set up with it. I guess if I need video I'll do it on Skype, but that's rare.

10. fabiot macrumors newbie

i have the saame problemm :S

any solution??