Better or worse, and what would you do?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kx22, Sep 28, 2013.

1. kx22 macrumors member

Hi,
    Today I went to a garagesale of a big company in the Netherlands.
    And found myself a nice (ex demo or returned) iMac 27" for a reasonable price.
    It is the late 2012 version with i5 3,2ghz and 680mx gfc.

On the box it said with 8GB memory and 1GB Fusion.
    Once I installed everything (everything seems new to mee, no scratches) I found out it was only 4GB (2x2) and has a 120GB SSD samsung.

Should I return this? The problem is that they dont have any other iMacs left and it is money back or keep it. Is the 120GB more worth then a 1GB Fusion?
    120gb sounds to small for me, but an upgrade would cost me a lot of money (and risk).

What would you do?

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

RAM is inexpensive and the Fusion Drive is a 128GB SSD with a 1TB or 3TB HDD so it sounds like they left the SSD in and pulled the HDD (or the HDD is failed).

Frankly, I'd keep it and get an external USB 3 HDD for storing pictures/music/videos. The SSD should be plenty for the OS, applications and documents.

3. kx22 thread starter macrumors member

Oh i didnt know that. So the other 880 GB of "normal/fusion" failed or is pulled out?

What kind of ram should u recommend to me?
    And if the HDD is pulled out, what kind of SSD should i buy to add to the 120GB?

4. blanka macrumors 68000

Heeft ie wel echt de 680MX?
    Dat is het enige belangrijke.
    Gooi m meteen goed vol:
    16Gb geheugen (laat die 4 evt zitten, heb je 20)
    256GB SSD (bijvoorbeeld 840pro of Vector)
    3TB Seagate barracuda.
    Als je dat doet, moet toch alles wat er nu zit uit, en heb je er dus ook geen last van.

5. kx22 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, after a recheck in a store he found out that the Fusion drive was not installed correctly. Instead of 1 big drive it was seperated so i would see it.
    Now everything seems normal/good. Except the fact that I have a 4GB instead of original 8GB. But I was going for the 16GB or 32GB anyway.

De kaart is inderdaad 680mx. Dat is zeker :D