Better Processor - 13in Macbook Air (top one) vs 13in Macbook Pro Retina (base one)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slumpey326, Oct 23, 2012.

1. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

which one would be able to handle a heavier load of running multiple applications, 13in Macbook Air top of the line model or the new 13in Macbook Pro Retina base model.

2. paulelgan macrumors newbie

i'm looking for the same answer :) can't decided to get which one for more intense work since both have very similar spec

MBA i7 2.0ghz vs rMBP i5 2.5ghz:confused::confused:

3. Jinzen macrumors 6502

The 2.5 turbos to 2.9, while the 2.0 i7 turbos to 3.2ghz.

Under intense single threaded applications, the Air may actually be faster, but under most scenarios, the Pro should be faster.

4. paulelgan macrumors newbie

thank you very much for your answer. i very appreciated :) do you have a recommendation? with student discount base rMBP 13" is almost $100 cheaper than MBA 13" with i7 2.0ghz, 8gb ram, and 256GB flash at $1699 trying to decided which will be more future proof

5. slumpey326 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes, but the base 13 rmpb only comes with 128gb SSD compare to 256gb SSD. This might be a deciding factor.

6. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Yea, the base Pro is a no-brainer if you're deciding between the two. The display technology and resolution will make using Macbook Airs (the worst display Apple has ever used to date with awful viewing angles) seem like serious eye-sore.

The rest are just gravy - a few more ports, slightly more power etc.

However, you may find the actually user experience to be worse on the new Pro - the HD4000 handling Retina resolutions will likely encounter similar scrolling and UI transition hits that the 15" Retina Pro has to deal with, albeit not as severe. Who knows, it may even be at the threshold for the chip to deal with and not notice a performance hit.

To be perfectly honest though, if you are spending $1600, might as well get the $1999 base 15" Retina Pro (student discount). It's way more screen, power, and storage than the 13" Retina Pro.

The 13" Retina Pro is IMO, the currently most overpriced Apple product. Possibly the most overpriced one I've ever seen given the outdated CPU/GPU and low flash storage. A 128gb SSD probably costs Apple $50, it's a huge shame that they are doing this to consumers when a 256gb drive would probably not cost them much more than $100.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That's not really true. They come from different processor families. The ulv versions found in the air will always be somewhat slower. You should wait for real performance tests, not just geekbench scores. They're typically a better determination than anything else.