Better proximity work around: 100% reliable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PeteLP, Aug 3, 2010.

1. PeteLP macrumors regular

As some people have pointed out you can work around the proximity problem by hitting the home button when on a call.

There's a problem with this in that sometimes your face will hit the green band (the "return to phone" region) at the top of the screen, launching the phone app again, and you're back to square one. Not to mention launching other apps and who knows what else.

The key to a reliable work around is RUNNING an app (while on the phone) that has no green band at the top and will never quit or do ANY damage with ANY screen touch.

Here's one that works perfectly:

Shredder. Its a chess program which takes up the full screen, (no green band at the top) and just keeps running like the energizer bunny.

It's been 100% reliable for me as a proximity work around.

Obviously I want apple to fix this, but until they do it's nice to have a reliable workaround. I'd be interested in other such apps if anyone finds one.

Pete

2. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

or buy a week 30 build iphone 4. my week 30 build has ZERO......ZERO issues.

4. PeteLP thread starter macrumors regular

That is a good workaround, and given that you don't touch the screen with your face, it's fast and it works well. (And the iphone 4 does have a very good speaker phone) However, sometimes you want more privacy

5. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Or the included headset.

6. Steveo47 macrumors regular

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My wife and I both bought on day 1 and hers has problems and mine does not.

So having a phone that works proves nothing about other phones made at the same time.

8. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

9. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Week 23, no issues (on either of our 2 32gbs).

10. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

My week 25 phone (32gb) and week 27 (32gb) both had proximity sensor issues. While in all fairness, my week 27 phone is built A LOT better, every single phone has this issue. It's how the user uses it that causes it to flare up.

11. cfernandes macrumors regular

cfernandes

I have TERRIBLE proximity sensor issues. Week 25 iPhone. I'm seriously thinking about returning it.:mad:

12. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

For every week number build there has been at least one person who has the proximity sensor issue. It's there regardless of week number. These posts saying you don't have the issue are useless. What are we supposed to do with that? These threads are for people who HAVE the issue.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I bought my iPhone 4 just 4 days ago (on Saturday) and its a week 30 build and I sadly have the proximity sensor issue, but my work-around is to use a bluetooth headset or my wired headphones w/mic.

14. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

It just responds a little slower. They'll have a fix soon.
    I guess mine has the issue but I just put it back up to my head a tad slower to compensate. It is a tad annoying though.

15. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Yeah sorry, week 30, TONS of proximity sensor issues. During a call I went from facetiming that person, to putting them on speaker, and editing a contact's name. The fact that I have to keep checking my phone screen every 10 seconds to see or undo any false actions is really botching up my relatively happy experience with this phone.

16. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

This. My first phone was horrible. This one is a bit better but still does the HANG UP, SPEAKER, HOLD dance. I would love for a jailbreak community developer to release some kind of fix or workaround for it to stuff it in Steves face.

17. maryannee macrumors regular

Ditto.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have no idea what week # build my wife has but she's having an awful problem with the proximity sensor. She was tempted to return the phone, but decided to hope that apple will address the issue with a software fix.

19. Steadyeddy macrumors newbie

Week 23 (purchased on launch day) , 32gb..........No problems at all.

20. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

I dont have my iPhone 4 yet....but why not simply lock the screen when you answer your phone? I do this all the time on my 3G on long conversations....not sure why i do as proximity works on 3G but...

21. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Nope. I have a week 30 phone, and the proximity weirdness is there. Luckily, I naturally don't hold the phone against my face when I talk. I angle it out slightly. So though I see the screen come on now and then out of the corner of my eye, it's a non-issue.

22. AppleSmack macrumors regular

Haha, well said!

23. PeteLP thread starter macrumors regular

AFAIK, Hitting the power off button on top ends the phone call (unless you're using a wired -or wireless?- headset)

Please let me know if there's a workaround for the power off, which would be great

24. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Same here. I'm a week 31. No pixels out, the absolute most i can make the signal drop is 1 bar. Loving it. I just wish it were white. lol. :D

25. Stein357 macrumors 6502

Just hit the homescreen and then the lock button, I don't think this will end the call.