better quality.. mini-dvi to vga or mini-dvi to video adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmonster, Jan 3, 2008.

1. bmonster macrumors member

I've been using a mini-dvi to vga adapter to hook up my MacBook to an HDTV. The problem is the resolution becomes very, large? Safari takes up the entire screen and adjustments to the resolution on the computer just makes things either tiny or massive. I've seen a mini-dvi to video adapter which is basically just a composite video line out. Is the quality of these 2 adapters the same or would either the video adapter or vga adapter produce a better image?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

What is the native resolution of your TV? Can you set it anything larger in System Preferences > Displays? What TV do you have?

VGA should be able to handle an adequate resolution. I think its more likely a limitation of the TV or an incorrect setting.

3. bmonster thread starter macrumors member

4. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Set the resolution of the TV on the computer to 1680x1050, and that is the best you will get. Do not use the video input, for it will look crappy.

5. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

out of interest, could you not get the Mini DVI -> DVI adapter...and then get a DVI-> HDMI adapter...and connect it to the HDMI slot in your TV? Im guessing that would give you a slightly better image.

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I'm relatively sure you can not daisy-chain Apple video adapters. There's a great post explaining it somewhere on MR, but I can't find it.