Better reception with 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johannnn, Oct 15, 2011.

1. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Hi,

If I've understood it correctly 4S has two antennas, compared to one in almost every other phone. Does that give it much better reception? Anyone with 4S (with a carrier than they've also used for earlier iPhones), how is it?

Basically I'm thinking of buying a 4S or a 4 (4 is quite cheap now), I don't need the better camera and cpu but better reception would be huge

Thanks

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

The extra set of antennas is unlikely to fix a core coverage deficiency with the network (*cough*AT&T*cough*). The purpose is mostly to alleviate your hand covering part of the antenna and attenuating the signal, so you can grip the phone however you want to.

3. Amigalander macrumors regular

I don't know exactly what you mean by reception... but my call quality (voice clarity) on the iPhone 4S is MUCH better than on the 3G, both on AT&T. Los Angeles area.
    Both sending and receiving voice quality is much much better.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Attenagate is gone. HSPA+ works excellently. Getting 5MB/s in Australia.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

There are two separate issues here.

1) Users who fail to understand how cell phone networks function.

2) Apples penchant for pointing the finger, playing the victim, and convincing their worshipers to do the same thing.

1a) All cellular carriers have coverage maps to show where they have good coverage and where they don't. That's why it's a problem when people fail to choose a carrier that's best in their area. No carrier has full coverage everywhere therefore you can't blame them unless you subscribe to the Apple school of denial & bashing others.

2a) Now that's it's post Antennagate suddenly Apple flip flops like a bad politician and is boasting about it's better antenna.

Silently without fanfare what they've done in addition is to include a different baseband chip. This is even more significant than the improved antenna since the baseband processor is the sole chip responsible for telephone performance.

So... Apple fixes it failures. Diverts attention through smoke & mirrors (read Siri) and the iPhone 4S is a much improved telephone.

(sorry to reveal the truth) :)

6. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what it's doing... or how it's doing it... but my 4S is getting 4-5 bars in my house where my old 4 got 2-3, and that's with a bumper o_O

7. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Reception is slightly better than my iPhone 4, but big thing is that at my house where I have bad reception, touching the seam doesnt kill the reception anymore. I can now hold my iPhone without a case and still keep a call, my iPhone 4 would drop and go into "searching" mode if I just placed one finger o the seam. Now it does still affect data somewhat when I hold it that way (goes from 200-300kbs to 100-200kbs) at my house, but that's no big deal since I'm on wifi when at home and it doesn't seem to affect it all when in areas with better reception.

8. iThink Apple macrumors 6502

iThink Apple

9. johannnn thread starter macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Well I'm in Europe so I don't really care about Sprint and AT&T

But better reception and no more "death grip" makes me happy.

10. NickRno77 macrumors regular

Well it looks like you are the only one to answer the original posters question, well done, unless Apple have been tweaking the reception bars to make you think you are getting better reception:)