Better reception with iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GreXXL, Sep 25, 2014.

1. GreXXL macrumors member

GreXXL

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody beside me has noticed a better reception with their iPhone 6(+)? I had troubles both at my home as well as in other locations I now have more bars and a stable phone call is possible.

Never have noticed such an improvement over a generation of iPhones. It was horrific at my place even with my 5.

Might be the new antenna design but so think I like that very much. Can't say I'm not totally happy with my 6, beside the 8.0.1 trouble.

Looking to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
    Gregor

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Bars don't mean anything ! What's are your DBM levels ?

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I always had good reception with my previous iPhones so my 6 is about the same. But my wifi has become noticeably faster.

4. jason4427 macrumors member

Awesome! Which carrier?

5. GreXXL thread starter macrumors member

GreXXL

Where can I check that? Would be interesting to see. Though I don't have my iPhone 5 levels. Might check my girlfriends 5c though. Should be similar to the 5?

It's "3" over here in Austria :) They are not known for having the best coverage I have to say.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

See this thread. There is a number you enter to get to field test mode and it shows signal strength. No idea if this still work with the iPhone 6 though.

7. FuzzMunky macrumors regular

Doesn't

8. H1JJY macrumors member

Find my 6 is far better then my old 5.
    But did notice in the past that my wife's 5C had a better signal then my 5.

Was in a coffee shop today where my old 5 would get one bar 3G.
    Today my 6 had 3 bars of 4G

All phones on UK EE

9. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Most people seem to have about the same reception so far (judging by similar threads on this board).

:apple:

10. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

I don't measure with bars, have my phone set to display dbm.

My 6 plus is pretty much on par with that of the 5 in the same place, same time. The 6 may have a slight advantage at times, but not enough for me to say any "better" reception...

11. Jaymd1970 macrumors member

12. trouble747 macrumors 6502

Personally, mine sounds MUCH better than my iPhone 5 (clearer and louder). Don't know if that's a matter of reception. I did switch to AT&T from Verizon, however.

13. lienhart macrumors 6502

lienhart

My LTE is a little better but my wifi is MUCH better, my router is on the other side of the house and used to constantly disconnect. Now I get about 40mbps up & down :D Love it

14. GreXXL thread starter macrumors member

GreXXL

Okay well 3G and 4G can make a big difference. I notice the improvement both on 3G (4G not available on my carrier yet).

How would I do that? Would be interesting to see if there is a difference between the phones. Can compare 6 and 5c now. The 5 has moved to my younger brother :)

15. Jman13 macrumors 68000

In my basement, my 5S would often have trouble actually completing a phone call (I had a bar, but would often only have one sided conversations due to poor reception.) With the 6, so far at least, calls have been fine from the same spots.

16. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Step 1: Dial *3001#12345#* on your iPhone then press Call.

Step 2: You'll now enter Field Test mode. You'll notice a signal strength indicator on the upper left hand corner of your screen. You can toggle between signal strength bars and a number by simply taping on it. At this point, press the home button to exit the app or if you would like the feature to be permanent, continue on. Don't worry, the process is completely reversible.

Step 3: Hold down on the Power button until you see the ‘slide to power off' bar. Do not power off the device.

Step 4: Press down on the Home button until the app closes and you return to your home screen.

That's it. Even when restarting the iPhone, the signal strength can be toggled between bars and numbers. The closer your number is to zero, the stronger your signal is.

17. GreXXL thread starter macrumors member

GreXXL

Cool, thanks. Like how it changes from iOS 6 style to iOS 7 style every time you open it. Got -90 with my iPhone 6 and a bit lower results with the 5c. More significant on the bars. But quality and stability is much better subjectively.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

*3001#12345#*

I just tried it on my iPhone 6 and it does work.

19. FuzzMunky macrumors regular

I beg your pardon. I forgot the asterisk on the end.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No problem. Funny because I did the same thing the first time, then saw Sketchr's post and tried it again and got it right. :)

21. Starrbuck macrumors regular

Yes, my iPhone 6 appears to get better signal at my work & home than my iPhone 5 did, or my most recent Nokia phone.