iPhone 7(+) Better reception with newer iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lieb39, Oct 22, 2018.

1. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Hi all,

A quick Google didn't find any obvious answers.. will I receive better reception on a newer iPhone like the XS or XR? I'm currently using an iPhone 7 plus, and have noticed that I tend to lose connectivity when in a crowded area (train.. I appear to have strong connectivity but the net appears to stall until I restart or flip between airplane mode a few times..)

In Melbourne, Australia on Telstra if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

2. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Only if your carrier support 4x4MIMO and carrier aggregation. If no, then same as 7.

3. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 68000

It's worse than the Iphone 7 and much much much worse if you get one of the XS lemons . I had 3 lemons before I got a good one.

4. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

In my house at 4 separate locations...my house is on the edge of Verizon coverage...and my house does block signals quite a bit to boot. It is tough for any phone to get good speeds.

Two phones: iPhone 7 (Verizon model; Qualcomm) vs. iPhone Xs (Verizon model; Intel).

4 tests, 4 different locations, both phones next to each other. I alternate who goes first; the last two tests were run at same time on both. (The 4th test was interesting: my wife’s 7 had 3 bars; my Xs had 2 bars.)

7: (download / upload)

8.83 / 0.32 (2 bars)
    4.91 / 0.52 (2 bars)
    5.90 / 0.77 (2 bars)
    6.72 / 1.08 (3 bars)

Xs: (all runs had 2 bars)

8.32 / 0.60
    9.20 / 1.57
    5.38 / 0.53
    7.52 / 1.44

Basically, from my tests, there is no significant difference. If anything, my Xs may be ever so slightly faster on average than my wife’s 7.

5. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 68000

It's not about speed test it's about staying connected. Stream audio or video and drive around. You will find at times there are fake bars and no data flowing . Don't look at bars ! Slap that sucker into field test mode and you will see the real difference . In fringe areas the XS just doesn't cut it and never will till gets new hardware.

6. Otflyer macrumors 6502a

Otflyer

Yesterday while outside my XS Max had 4 bars showing and I had slow or no data. So it’s true bars mean nothing. I called Verizon and they told me there were no problems with their equipment in that area and my phone was operating normally. By the way, this happened in a strong signal area. I preordered the XR.

7. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

I’ve got both an Xs Max and a Moto Z3 with Verizon at the edge of town. Talk/text is fine on both, data is similar speeds and performance. So I don’t know if I agree with your assertion.

8. Thai macrumors 65816

Thai

Actually, speed test is VERY representative of streaming audio/video because streaming by definition is using DATA speeds of your carrier.

Again, let me post this extensive test: https://www.pcmag.com/news/364116/iphone-xs-crushes-x-in-lte-speeds-but-still-falls-short-of