iPad mini Better resale value for iPad mini: WiFi only or LTE option?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by darkknight11, Nov 3, 2012.

1. darkknight11 macrumors member

Hi all,

I sold my iPad2+3G just before Apple announced the new iPads. However, I just ordered an iPad mini 16GB Wi-Fi only in White...to hold me over until Apple releases the mini with Retina. I am debating whether or not to switch to the LTE option. Now, if I go out and spend an additional $130 for LTE for the convenience factor to use for just 1 year, will I recoup any of my investment since I will probably sell this next year? Do the WiFi only models usually have higher resale value for iPads 1-3?

Thanks!

2. aneftp macrumors 601

The 16GB wifi model is always the better resale value.

The more expensive you get the more the product resell will go down.

Example. Paying $100 more for the 32GB model will not net you $100 back. You may get $50-75 back. So if u buy iPad mini for $329. You may be resell it for $225-250 in 6-9 months.

But if u pay $429 for iPad mini. You may only get $275-325.

Same goes with LTE. You are spending $130 extra and may only see 50% of that $130 back in return.

Just look at iPad 3. 16GB $500. Most were able to dump it for $350-375 even if resell value tanks cause the iPad 4 was announced.

But my $829 LTE 64GB model. I'd be lucky to get $600-650 if it were mint (its not mint). So you are looking at over a $200 price decrease vs a $125-150 price decrease with iPad 3 16Gb base model.

3. Renjo2007 macrumors member

Thanks very informative!

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

^^^ This !

I read an article which said the MOST popular model with highest resale was the 16GB Wifi. Of course I always choose the 32GB. :p

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yup because when people look for deals, they look for the cheapest model. Those that look for a higher end model most likely can afford a new/refurb model from Apple directly. That's my opinion. I could be wrong.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As stated, the 16GB WiFi will provide the best ROI, but on the other hand, being able to use LTE for a year - assuming LTE and/or GPS matter to you - will be worth the cost, even if you don't recoup much of the differential.

$329 for a product you always wish was a $459 product is too much, so, if you think you'll wish you had bought the LTE version, buy the LTE version. After all, the products are purchased so you can use them. Otherwise, you'd be better off buying nothing and investing the $329 for a year.

7. aneftp macrumors 601

Of course you have to factor in how long you want to keep iPad.

It's hard to give up my Verizon LTE iPad with free unlimited LTE hotspot (I use my spare Verizon phone LTE sim in my iPad with grandfathered u limited LTE (non throttled)

There isn't a price on resell for the times in hotels I've been able to fire up the LTE iPad cause hotel wifi are notoriously slow.

So figure how much u will need LTE. If u are only going to use it once in a while. Save ur money go with the wifi model.

Of course the real question is 16GB enough? I thought about going to 32GB model for iPad 4. But i looked at iPad 3 and already had 25GB install. Very few photos. My magazines take up about 5GB space. So I could take out some reading material to sAve space. But I travel and need to kill time on the plane and reading downloaded magazines kills time. 32GB would be a tight fit for me. 16GB is out of the question.

8. drober30 macrumors 6502a

No iPad is an investment. Buy LTE if you will use it several times a week like commuting on a train or bus. If its just a toy, buy wifi and sell it for what you can when it comes time.

Don't ever forget to factor in the cost of enjoyment when thinking about buying and selling products. Getting any money back out of these devices is just a bonus!

9. darkknight11 thread starter macrumors member

thanks all!! i appreciate your help! is it worth getting LTE even if I will sell this when the retina Mini comes to market (which may be 6-12 months?!)

10. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

As said, don't buy it with resale value in mind, portable electronics always go down on price. Buy it if you need it, if you will use cellular alot on it (like I do) then its worth the extra $130. If you use it for occasion and have Asmara phone, better tethering with that instead.

11. jedolley macrumors 68000

I was wondering this as well. I figured the 16GB WiFi would be the easier sell, but since I did not technically pay for my mini (Best Buy gift cards provided to me as compensation for BB snafu and bad CS experience), I was thinking I would only be out-of-pocket the addition $130 +tax once the LTE versions come. So for me, when resale comes around it will be a profit either way. I just don't know if I want to spend the extra $130 for LTE because a free WiFi mini feels pretty good right now. :D

12. darkknight11 thread starter macrumors member

haha, i'm with you! i just called apple and switched to the lte model! i like to buy my tech "fully equipped" so it was worth it. i had a $100 gc for apple.com so only cost me $30+tax to get the LTE model... plus i do not want to be restricted with usage if i am in an area with no wifi. also, ipads are unlocked so if you travel abroad a lot, you can pop in many of the available nano-sims...i am sure the resale value will be pretty high for the 16gb lte....

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. Buy based on your needs/wants/budget/preferences/priorities/etc. These aren't investments.