Better Scanning Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Thedingwing, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Thedingwing macrumors newbie

This may be kind of an obscure request, but I'm looking for better scanning software than Image Capture. IC is great, but it lacks management once documents have been scanned. Ideally, the software would provide the following:
    • ability to scan multiple documents at once and separate them quickly later
    • ability to crop documents and detect paper sizes
    • some sort of image postprocessing to remove white background (like the Text setting in IC}
    • OCR would be a plus, but not a requirement as the ultimate destination of the scans would be Evernote
    I guess it wouldn't even need to support scanning as long as I could scan them in image capture and put them in application to be organized.

Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Some higher end printer / scanner combos come with OCR stuff...My Epson has Adobe fine reader...Very fat and effective, and will do everything you want. It might sound crazy, but it's often cheaper to buy a new printer than to buy the software on it's own.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Some of what you want can be done using VueScan, but much of what you want is impossible. It is impossible to automate at any rate. There is no way to distinguish one scanned document from two if they are batch-scanned. There are a number of document and image management applications. You may even setup your file structure within the Finder to do the job.

4. Thedingwing thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't talking about automatic page sorting, I'm just looking for a more efficient interface than manually combining pages in Preview. I have Acrobat however it's too sluggish. I remember an application called Final Vinal, where you could record an entire LP and then after, mark where the song changed and it would split into individual tracks. There's gotta be something similar for scanned documents?

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The gold standard of scanners for the Mac is the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M. It batch scans documents... creates multi-page combined PDFs... it automatically removes blank pages... auto rotates any pages put in upside down... auto aligns any pages that scan crooked... auto sets the page size on a page by page basis... etc, etc.

To answer your question directly... the gold standard of image management software is DevonThink Pro Office. I won't even start describing how powerful this software package is... except that it directly supports the ScanSnap S1500M. The software is amazing and there are many posts on this site... as well as many books available to describe this software. If you were to get DTPO... I suspect that you would scrap Evernote.

Neither are inexpensive. The Fujitsu scanner is about $400. DTPO is somewhere between $150 and $200.

/Jim