Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illjazz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
iChat's screen sharing feature is wonderfully easy to use, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. I frequently connect to my dad's iMac remotely to help him out with a variety of issues and have been using iChat thus far. Having become unsatisfied with iChat's performance at the task, I've come to wonder.. is there a better, higher quality solution available? Free is always great, of course, but I've been using this enough to justify a purchase as well. My dad's not the only one who needs (remote!) hands-on help with his Mac.

Any suggestions? TIA!

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
If using leopard you have Screen Sharing in System/Library/Core Services/ screen sharing that might help

It can log in to anything on your wireless network if you have the I.P

One for Tiger is chicken for the VNC, uses VNC to connect but does exactly the same job pretty much as the screen sharing for leopard, i used those 2 apps before i upgraded my mac mini i could remote connect and turn itunes down remotely etc etc :)

illjazz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
Perhaps I should have clarified.. both my dad and I run Leopard. When we do the screen-sharing, however, we're not in the same household. He's about 45min away in another town.

I'd assume that the Screen Sharing app that comes with Leopard is what iChat automatically uses, no? Wouldn't make much sense for Apple to create two separate screen sharing apps where one is just for iChat..

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
"I'd assume that the Screen Sharing app that comes with Leopard is what iChat automatically uses, no?"

ahhhh righto :) i gotcha now, yup i would have to assume the same as you, i dont personally use ichat but that sounds distinctly plausible.

Maybe a proper guru would be able to suggest what iChat does actually do?

I dont know of any other network/admin solutions out there, other than Remote Desktop, and even that, im not sure whether you can get to other peoples networks- outside of your local network for instance..

hmmm sommat to think about me thinks :)

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I use TeamViewer to do remote support and I have never had any problems. Both you and your dad need to download this (make sure it's the full version).

illjazz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
I use TeamViewer to do remote support and I have never had any problems. Both you and your dad need to download this (make sure it's the full version).

This does look great indeed. Thanks a ton for the suggestion. I can't wait to try it out :)

I'll check that out first and see how it goes. And then there's still Jollys. Thank you guys!

EDIT:
A question, SHADO.. do I want my dad to download the full version as well? I grabbed the full version, but the impression I got from the TeamViewer site is that the "supporter" (me) is supposed to have the full version installed.. while the "customer" (my dad) is just supposed to run the simple executable. Would it be better (rather, will it even work?) if both of us install the full version? Thanks!

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
This does look great indeed. Thanks a ton for the suggestion. I can't wait to try it out :)

I'll check that out first and see how it goes. And then there's still Jollys. Thank you guys!

EDIT:
A question, SHADO.. do I want my dad to download the full version as well? I grabbed the full version, but the impression I got from the TeamViewer site is that the "supporter" (me) is supposed to have the full version installed.. while the "customer" (my dad) is just supposed to run the simple executable. Would it be better (rather, will it even work?) if both of us install the full version? Thanks!

Yes you should both download the full version. It will work and you both will be able to access all of its features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.