Better screensavers for Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SavageMac, Dec 4, 2007.

1. SavageMac macrumors member

The pre-loaded screensavers are pretty lame. Any awesome freebies out there?:D

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I'm still hooked on mosaic, though you need a good photo library for it to be entertaining.

3. SavageMac thread starter macrumors member

Where is mosaic? I don't see it in the screensaver list?:confused:

4. JW008 macrumors 6502

Under the Screen Saver tab under system preferences choose any of your albums, or events or just the whole picture folder. Underneath the preview of the screensaver on the left you'll see three tabs that are labeled "display style." Choose the third tab!

5. SavageMac thread starter macrumors member

oh I found it but when I click test nothing happens --- just a blank black screen. I have about 200 pictures (all 1280x800).

:confused:

6. JW008 macrumors 6502

The first time I tried to use the mosaic screensaver it had to "optimize" my photos to do it.

Also, I just tested mine out and ran into a similar problem that you did. But, I think it happens because any small movement in the mouse after you click on "test" will cause you to leave the screensaver. I just tried it again and did my best not to move the mouse while clicking it and it worked. Try doing that...

7. SavageMac thread starter macrumors member

Nope, still does not work. I am not moving the mouse at all -- if I did the black screen would go away anyway.

I also set the screensaver to start in 3mins --- and in 3mins I simply got a black screen.

What did you have to do to your photos?

:apple:

8. JW008 macrumors 6502

I didn't do anything to my photos specifically, it automatically optimized them when I selected the option.

Try a different event/album/photos folder...

9. SavageMac thread starter macrumors member

Tried that just now & no lucky :'(

I have 12 albums, all with over 50+ photos, and not a single one shows mosaic.

(I saw the demo on mosaic and I MUST get this working!!! Thanks for your help :D)

10. SavageMac thread starter macrumors member

Ok I got it to work using the offical pictures loaded with OSX

not any of mine

11. JW008 macrumors 6502

No problem...sorry I couldn't be more help. Here's a screenshot of my settings, maybe that will help...

Attached Files:

12. JW008 macrumors 6502

Are you using iPhoto '08? That might be the problem, I'm not sure if it's required or not...

13. SavageMac thread starter macrumors member

ahA!!!! I have to use the PICTURES FOLDER, not my own albums I named myself!! Ok it works now!!!! WOOO hooooo!!!!!! I could watch this for hours!
    THANKS!:D:D

14. JW008 macrumors 6502

Ahahaha---no problem! I watched it for hours the first time I did it too! Glad I could help!

15. SavageMac thread starter macrumors member

Dang, I rarely if ever hear the fan on my SR MB...and that screensaver sure gets it running!:D

16. SavageMac thread starter macrumors member

When the mosaic is nearly 100% complete with all the little pictures, I notice white spots where it takes 1.2 seconds to fill out and complete the image. This normal? I have the rows set to 100 but it does this even at 50.

17. JW008 macrumors 6502

What do you mean by "white spots?" The images are kind of blocky (because of they're made up of pictures that don't perfectly fit the image) until they pull out a certain distance, but I don't think there are any white spots.

18. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

A number of open-gl based free screen savers here (download links at bottom of page)

With Leopard's new default deep space theme (desktop, time machine), you can't go wrong with the hyperspace screensaver (worm hole effects are pretty good). I also like the the bird's eye viewed fireworks show courtesy of Skyrocket.

Although not free, the shareware 3D desktop aquarium renders some very realistic looking and behaving open-gl fish.

All of these will give your vid card a pretty good workout.

19. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Well I'm glad to see that my casual mention of the mosaic still holding my interest proved to be useful :p

20. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

You could make your own with the Quartz Composer. It's not at all hard to make one.

21. Tom Prejean macrumors newbie

Mosaic Screensaver Photo Degeneration

Yeah- I love the mosaic screensaver-- but I've noticed that my pictures tend to degenerate over time-- get kind of a faded milky look to them. Anybody else have that problem? Any solutions??

22. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I found one called Anèmona which is pretty cool, though I rather like Leopard's Arabesque screensaver (except for the name).

23. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Has anyone figured out a way to make that old Core Animation demo from a couple Keynotes back work on Leopard? Its the one where all the iTunes artwork flew around and made a city....they turned it into an iPod commercial, too.

I've been looking around, but nobody knows how to do it yet....or just doesn't want to:p

24. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Great link. A very "Doctor Who Intro" style screensaver :)

25. cheezebob macrumors member

I just had a great idea...the mosaic screensaver should search videos in iPhoto and iMovie and choose frames to go in the screensaver