Better Sound in Preview than iTunes!?!??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac Eagle, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Mac Eagle macrumors member

I was just updating some music with iTunes Match and wanted to compare the old file with the new file. After the file was deleted I listened to it in preview in the trash can to compared to new file in iTunes. To my dismay, the old file sounded better... MUCH better. I then did some experimenting including deleting the newly matched file and playing that using Preview and amazingly it also sounded MUCH better than how it sounded when played through iTunes. I went and made sure that I am not using Sound Check or Enhancer and my EQ is set to off so unless there is some other config setting, iTunes should not be modifying the sound. I also played around with the EQ settings and actually the Rock setting made it sound the closest to how it sounds through Preview, but still not as good.

I did find this on the net so I am not the only one hearing this:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/mu...preview-has-better-sound-than-itunes-osx.html

but unfortunately there was no answer to the problem in that post. Is this a widely know issue, can someone else try this themselves and see if they get the same results. Frankly, after hearing how good my music sounded through Preview I hate listening through iTunes now.

2. dknightd macrumors 6502

With Crossfade, Sound Enhancer, Sound Check and EQ off
    and itunes Volume set to full - they should sound the same
    (do for me). You seemed to have checked everything
    except perhaps the itunes volume slider

3. Mac Eagle thread starter macrumors member

Well thanks, my iTunes volume slider was indeed set to maybe 90% of maximum and much to my chagrin that does seem to be what caused the perceived quality difference. I've often wondered why there was a separate volume slider in iTunes (convenience?) but I really didn't think about that being the culprit. Thanks for your observation! At least now I can go about upgrading my lower bit rate tracks via Match (other Match issues not withstanding).

Thanks Again!