Better to buy a MBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChitoCrisis, May 20, 2012.

1. ChitoCrisis macrumors member

I've been waiting to buy a new Mac since last year. My plan was to buy a new iMac but I delayed it because the new one is set to come out at any time.

My MBP from late 2008 I believe has a broken logic board (the usb, firewire, and minidisplay ports do not work at all). It will cost about $570 to repair and that's just too much. I'm just going to buy a new MBP.

But should I buy one now or wait until the new ones come out? There's rumors saying the new MBPs will not have a super drive. If it doesn't have one, I probably won't buy the newer ones.

Also, when the new models come out, do the older ones get cheaper? I need the iMac and a new notebook before late August when school starts.

p.s. How much do you think I can get for my current notebook? Everything works just fine and all except the logic board.

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

I would probably wait since the consensus is that the new units are very close to being released. The price of the current units should come down and you could use the saved cash for more RAM and maybe an SSD? Not sure how much your current MBP is worth with all the issues you mentioned. Good luck, hope you can get a good price to help cover the cost of your new machines.

3. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

I would wait, the new MBP are right around the corner. You'll be kicking yourself if you get one now and the new line is radically improved.

4. derickdub macrumors 6502

If the lack of a superdrive is keeping you from buying a 2012 one, I would buy now. Looking at the rumors and the direction Apple has been going, I wouldn't doubt that they remove it. Also, depending on what unit you decide to get could be a factor. If you want a 13" waiting may be better because the bump in graphics. Also if USB 3.0 is important to you, because I wouldn't doubt the 2012 models will have it.

Being that your logic board is useless, you won't be able to get much for your current MBP. You could buy a 2011 refurb and sell your current MBP for probably around what a 2011 refurb would cost a month after the 2012 models are released, if that makes any sense.

I guess what it all comes down to is how bad you need a new one. If you can wait a month or two, then you'll probably be able to save $100-$200 on a 2011 refurb vs. buying now.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you do decide to buy now, I would still go with a refurbished model rather than paying the full retail price.

6. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Tough call. Probably should wait a few more weeks if you can. I do believe there will be a rush on the 2011 models after the new ones come out if they don't have ODD or onboard gb Ethernet like many are predicting.

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm assuming the external SuperDrive Apple sells for the MacBook Air would be compatible no? If the SuperDrive is that important though I say get one now.

8. El Salvador macrumors member

Good things come to those who wait...

I'd hold on a little longer since you need it in August. The new MBP should be available by then.

9. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

It's a really bad idea to get one now. As you said, the old one will be cheaper when the new one comes out anyway.

So unless you have to have one NOW, I'd definitely WAIT :D

PS: Get the refurbished models form Apple Online Store if you need it NOW.

10. 314631 macrumors 6502a

I would buy now and upgrade to a new one later when released. You can never have too many Macs in your house.